How do we get ἐνδεδυμένον in Revelation 1:13?

The forum for those who still struggle with morphology, syntax, and idiom, or who wish to discuss basic questions about the meaning of Greek texts, syntax, or words.
Forum rules
This is not a place for students to ask for the answers to their homework assignments. Users who do that may be banned.
Tim Evans

How do we get ἐνδεδυμένον in Revelation 1:13?

Post by Tim Evans »

Screen Shot 2015-08-31 at 4.27.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-08-31 at 4.27.39 PM.png (77.84 KiB) Viewed 1310 times
I was having a mysql error appear, complaining about a funny character in the above post, so I have uploaded it as an image.
Stephen Hughes

Re: How do we get ἐνδεδυμένον in Revelation 1:13?

Post by Stephen Hughes »

ἐν-δε-δυ-μέν-ον [preposition "in" - reduplication - lexical-root "cover oneself / lost from sight" - middle participle marker - number-case ending

The reduplication (deliberate and meaningful stutter) comes between the preposition and the lexical-root.

You may find benefit from a look in the index of your grammar to find the section explaining "augment".
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Tim Evans

Re: How do we get ἐνδεδυμένον in Revelation 1:13?

Post by Tim Evans »

Stephen Hughes wrote:ἐν-δε-δυ-μέν-ον [preposition "in" - reduplication - lexical-root "cover oneself / lost from sight" - middle participle marker - number-case ending

The reduplication (deliberate and meaningful stutter) comes between the preposition and the lexical-root.

You may find benefit from a look in the index of your grammar to find the section explaining "augment".
Thanks Stephen. I did check the textbook we are using and it wasn't clear to me (for this particular case), hence the question.

I have looked in the local christian bookshop for alternative textbooks, and they don't have much, I am going to have to order something on amazon, which I have an aversion to because the postage costs so much and usually takes several months to deliver.

Return to “Beginners Forum”