John 7:20, How does a crowd reply?

The forum for those who still struggle with morphology, syntax, and idiom, or who wish to discuss basic questions about the meaning of Greek texts, syntax, or words.
Forum rules
This is not a place for students to ask for the answers to their homework assignments. Users who do that may be banned.
Tim Evans

John 7:20, How does a crowd reply?

Post by Tim Evans »

Hi guys,

I've often wondered "How does a crowd reply", that is, what sort of mental image does this create in terms of the real event it is describing. I.e:
20 ἀπεκρίθη ὁ ὄχλος· δαιμόνιον ἔχεις· τίς σε ζητεῖ ἀποκτεῖναι
Now as I read this types of phrases in the Greek with consideration of translation, I can't help but wonder if there might be a translational issue here? would the original reader/hearer if this story see it the same way as us, I.e. Also left not knowing how exactly the crowd replied? Or perhaps could this phrase be understood in a more specific way, i.e. The lead protester? Or something else?

(I guess they would read it exactly as we would, i.e. The exact mechanism for a crowd replying is unknown and not relevant to the purpose of the story, but I can't help but wonder)
Jonathan Robie

Re: John 7:20, How does a crowd reply?

Post by Jonathan Robie »

In English, we often say "they said", which is equally vague. Human language is often like that.

I imagine the same issue comes up any time the common participle λέγοντες is used ...
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Return to “Beginners Forum”