Consider _him_ (Heb 12:3)

The forum for those who still struggle with morphology, syntax, and idiom, or who wish to discuss basic questions about the meaning of Greek texts, syntax, or words.
Forum rules
This is not a place for students to ask for the answers to their homework assignments. Users who do that may be banned.
Tim Evans

Consider _him_ (Heb 12:3)

Post by Tim Evans »

I have a feeling this might be a stupid question, but I am stuck none the less, so I am going to ask. :D

I am working through trying to untangle the greek of Hebrews. With regards to this phrase:
ἀναλογίσασθε γὰρ °τὸν τοιαύτην ὑπομεμενηκότα ὑπὸ τῶν ἁμαρτωλῶν εἰς ⸀ἑαυτὸν ἀντιλογίαν,
Most translations have "Consider him" (In NLT it comes out as "he".

Where does the him come from? Is the present perfect participle coming out in a literal sense as "he endured", and then it is glossed for better English form/structure to "him"?

Thanks!
Jason Hare

Re: Consider _him_ (Heb 12:3)

Post by Jason Hare »

Tim Evans wrote:I have a feeling this might be a stupid question, but I am stuck none the less, so I am going to ask. :D

I am working through trying to untangle the greek of Hebrews. With regards to this phrase:
ἀναλογίσασθε γὰρ °τὸν τοιαύτην ὑπομεμενηκότα ὑπὸ τῶν ἁμαρτωλῶν εἰς ⸀ἑαυτὸν ἀντιλογίαν,
Most translations have "Consider him" (In NLT it comes out as "he".

Where does the him come from? Is the present perfect participle coming out in a literal sense as "he endured", and then it is glossed for better English form/structure to "him"?

Thanks!
τὸν... ὑπομεμενηκότα (that is, ὁ ὑπομεμενηκώς) is functioning substantively. It means "the one who had endured" or "he who had endured." Thus, the personal pronoun is contained in the substantive use of the participle. "Consider the one who...."
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Tim Evans

Re: Consider _him_ (Heb 12:3)

Post by Tim Evans »

τὸν... ὑπομεμενηκότα (that is, ὁ ὑπομεμενηκώς) is functioning substantively. It means "the one who had endured" or "he who had endured." Thus, the personal pronoun is contained in the substantive use of the participle. "Consider the one who...."
Oh, of course, thanks! While being aware of this usage of the participle, I think the fact that it was the accusative, (i.e. not ὁ) and was in the perfect, and had τοιαύτην stuffed in the middle threw me off.

Thanks!

Return to “Beginners Forum”