How is ὅτι an adverb?

The forum for those who still struggle with morphology, syntax, and idiom, or who wish to discuss basic questions about the meaning of Greek texts, syntax, or words.
Forum rules
This is not a place for students to ask for the answers to their homework assignments. Users who do that may be banned.
Alan Bunning

How is ὅτι an adverb?

Post by Alan Bunning »

Robinson’s parsing always has ὅτι marked as a conjunction, but Tauber’s parsing (which he may have inherited) sometimes has ὅτι marked as an adverb instead. I am told that Friberg’s parsing apparently has ὅτι listed as an adverb in these places as well. Here are the first 3 places where it has been marked as an adverb:

Matt. 2:23 καὶ ἐλθὼν κατῴκησεν εἰς πόλιν λεγομένην Ναζαρέτ· ὅπως πληρωθῇ τὸ ῥηθὲν διὰ τῶν προφητῶν ὅτι Ναζωραῖος κληθήσεται. (the start of a quotation)
Matt. 24:43 Ἐκεῖνο δὲ γινώσκετε ὅτι εἰ ᾔδει ὁ οἰκοδεσπότης ποίᾳ φυλακῇ ὁ κλέπτης ἔρχεται, ἐγρηγόρησεν ἂν καὶ οὐκ ἂν εἴασεν διορυχθῆναι τὴν οἰκίαν αὐτοῦ. (with the meaning “because”)
Matt. 26:54 πῶς οὖν πληρωθῶσιν αἱ γραφαὶ ὅτι οὕτως δεῖ γενέσθαι; (with the meaning “that”)

I can’t seem to figure out what ὅτι has in common in these verses that would make it an adverb, for it still looks like a conjunction to me. Can anyone speculate as to why it would be an adverb in these places?
Jonathan Robie

Re: How is ὅτι an adverb?

Post by Jonathan Robie »

I'll ping James on this one.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
MAubrey

Re: How is ὅτι an adverb?

Post by MAubrey »

It's because ὅτι can introduce adverbial subordinate clauses, as well, as complement subordinate clauses. Strictly speaking, both functions are still subordinating conjunctions, just that one is a complementizer and the other is an adverbializer.
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com

Return to “Beginners Forum”