Copulative verbs

The forum for those who still struggle with morphology, syntax, and idiom, or who wish to discuss basic questions about the meaning of Greek texts, syntax, or words.
Forum rules
This is not a place for students to ask for the answers to their homework assignments. Users who do that may be banned.
Michael Sharpnack

Re: Copulative verbs

Post by Michael Sharpnack »

timothy_p_mcmahon wrote: May 18th, 2017, 7:07 pm The difference here is that the copula does not take a direct object. It takes a subject complement (in the nominative).
Ok, thanks, I think I'm starting to get it.
RandallButh wrote: May 19th, 2017, 2:22 am
Your sentence Μιχαηλ μελλει γενεσθαι πατερ is correct except that πατερ is actually vocative
So we fix it:

Μιχαηλ μέλλει γενέσθαι πατήρ

Michael is about to be a father.
Right, got my eta and epsilon mixed up there. On a side note, Dr. Buth, I picked up your living Koine method, and I love it. I find myself saying the phrases like "το ποτεριον επι της τραπεζης εισι" all the time, and getting eye-rolls from my wife :D .
Jonathan Robie wrote: May 19th, 2017, 8:51 am No - let's look at the internal structure of this:

s Μιχαηλ
v μέλλει
o
vc γενέσθαι
p πατήρ

So ... reasoning from that, what do you think the subject and predicate of γένωνται are in Matthew 4:3?

Matt 4:3 εἰπὲ ἵνα οἱ λίθοι οὗτοι ἄρτοι γένωνται.
First, vc= verb complement? and p= predicate?

Matt 4:3 καὶ προσελθὼν ὁ πειράζων εἶπεν αὐτῷ· Εἰ υἱὸς εἶ τοῦ θεοῦ, εἰπὲ ἵνα οἱ λίθοι οὗτοι ἄρτοι γένωνται.

I would say the subject of γένωνται is οἱ λίθοι οὗτοι and the predicate ἄρτοι? Rigidly, I would say: "Speak, in order that these stones may become bread.
RandallButh

Post by RandallButh »

I used Accordance. There were many hits (50-100?) and examples across a range of meanings. Both μελλειν ειναι and μελλειν γενεσθαι were amply attested.
Robert Crowe

Post by Robert Crowe »

Michael Sharpnack wrote: May 19th, 2017, 11:22 am Jonathan Robie wrote: ↑May 19th, 2017, 1:51 pm
No - let's look at the internal structure of this:

s Μιχαηλ
v μέλλει
o
vc γενέσθαι
p πατήρ

So ... reasoning from that, what do you think the subject and predicate of γένωνται are in Matthew 4:3?

Matt 4:3 εἰπὲ ἵνα οἱ λίθοι οὗτοι ἄρτοι γένωνται.
First, vc= verb complement? and p= predicate?
A moot point with the tagging. I would refer to the assertion μὲλλει γενὲσθαι πατὴρ as the predicate (P) where πατὴρ is the predicate nominative (PN).
Tús maith leath na hoibre.
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Michael Sharpnack wrote: May 19th, 2017, 11:22 am First, vc= verb complement? and p= predicate?
vc = "verbal copula" = a copulative verb.
p = predicate

Matt 4:3 καὶ προσελθὼν ὁ πειράζων εἶπεν αὐτῷ· Εἰ υἱὸς εἶ τοῦ θεοῦ, εἰπὲ ἵνα οἱ λίθοι οὗτοι ἄρτοι γένωνται.
Michael Sharpnack wrote: May 19th, 2017, 11:22 amI would say the subject of γένωνται is οἱ λίθοι οὗτοι and the predicate ἄρτοι? Rigidly, I would say: "Speak, in order that these stones may become bread.
Yup.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Robert Crowe wrote: May 19th, 2017, 2:27 pm A moot point with the tagging. I would refer to the assertion μὲλλει γενὲσθαι πατὴρ as the predicate (P) where πατὴρ is the predicate nominative (PN).
Hmmm .... do you use verb phrases? In the Lowfat model, we do not have verb phrases, a clause is governed by a verb, and each constituent in the clause is labeled with its role. I think that fits the Greek language better. So I would rather not have the verb as part of the predicate.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Robert Crowe

Post by Robert Crowe »

Jonathan Robie wrote: May 19th, 2017, 4:16 pm
Robert Crowe wrote: May 19th, 2017, 2:27 pm A moot point with the tagging. I would refer to the assertion μὲλλει γενὲσθαι πατὴρ as the predicate (P) where πατὴρ is the predicate nominative (PN).
Hmmm .... do you use verb phrases? In the Lowfat model, we do not have verb phrases, a clause is governed by a verb, and each constituent in the clause is labeled with its role. I think that fits the Greek language better. So I would rather not have the verb as part of the predicate.
Sorry, I am not familiar with the Lowfat model. I am aware of the notion that the verb and any auxiliaries are taken as the predicate; whereas the arguments (subject, complement, or object) are excluded. Your labelling sets this ass about face. Anyway each to their own rheumatism.
Tús maith leath na hoibre.

Return to “Beginners Forum”