Relative or dependent clause?

The forum for those who still struggle with morphology, syntax, and idiom, or who wish to discuss basic questions about the meaning of Greek texts, syntax, or words.
Forum rules
This is not a place for students to ask for the answers to their homework assignments. Users who do that may be banned.
Stephen Carlson

Re: Relative or dependent clause?

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Stirling Bartholomew wrote: December 15th, 2018, 3:27 pm As a general rule, what isn't discussed in the reference grammars or technical commentaries is probably not perceived as difficult.
Maybe. In my experience, the touchstone, at least among modern commentators, is whether it affects translation. Hort's a well-respected exegete. He's not always right (even Homer nodded) but if he's having difficulty, it's worth paying attention even if modern commentaries don't seem to have problem.
Stirling Bartholomew wrote: December 15th, 2018, 3:27 pm for example, H. Alford on 1Peter 2:4
To whom (i. e. τὸν κύριον) approaching (pres., representing the daily habit of the Christian life, not something to be done once for all. προσέρχεσθαι is elsewhere in the N. T. always with a dat. I
This raises the possibility of some kind of anacoluthon.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Stirling Bartholomew

Re: Relative or dependent clause?

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

Looking elsewhere for examples:
Plutarch's Moralia

πρὸς ὃν ὁ πατὴρ διενεχθεὶς καὶ συχνοὺς τῶν πολιτῶν ἀναλαβὼν περὶ ἀποικίας ἐμαντεύετο.

His father quarrelled with Opus and taking many of the citizens with him he went to seek an oracle concerning a colony. (Translation LCL 1936 Harvard UP).
C. Stirling Bartholomew

Return to “Beginners Forum”