Finding English Translation of De cruce et latrone homilia 1

Bernd Strauss

Finding English Translation of De cruce et latrone homilia 1

Post by Bernd Strauss »

A 50-word proximity search for the words παρουσία and ἔρχομαι in Thesaurus Linguae Graecae yields many results, and one of the works which are referenced is De cruce et latrone homilia 1 (“1st Homily on the Cross and the Thief”) attributed to John Chrysostom, which has 16 instances where the words παρουσία and ἔρχομαι are used within the 50-word range. I need to see an English translation but was not able to find it. Has the homily ever been translated into the English language?
Stephen Carlson

Re: Finding English Translation of De cruce et latrone homilia 1

Post by Stephen Carlson »

The fourth century website should have information about modern editions and translations here: http://www.fourthcentury.com/1st-homily ... the-thief/

As you can see, there is no modern language translation known to the editor of the website. Indeed, much of Chrysostom's massive oeuvre is still untranslated and even unedited. If you read Latin, you can check out the facing Latin translation in the PG.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Bernd Strauss

Re: Finding English Translation of De cruce et latrone homilia 1

Post by Bernd Strauss »

Thank you. I visit the website when I am looking for translations of Chrysostom’s writings. In rare instances, some persons may make translations which are not published and therefore not listed.

Return to “Church Fathers and Patristic Greek Texts”