Greek text of Andreas on the Apocalypse

Stirling Bartholomew

Greek text of Andreas on the Apocalypse

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

I am continuing to read Greek comment on the Apocalypse. I have J. Schmid's critical text (1955) of Andreas of Caesarea's Commentary on the Apocalypse. I was looking for an online resource and found something called:
Catenae (Novum Testamentum), Commentarius In Apocalypsin (Pseudo-Oecumenii) (E Cod. Coislin. https://cts.perseids.org/read/greekLit/ ... 1/1.1-1.19
At first glance this appears to be a slightly different recension of "Andreas of Caesarea's Commentary on the Apocalypse" which only includes the comment not the text of John's Apocalypse. There are other minor variants in the comment.

I am wondering what the relationship is between these two texts. Also wondering if there are other online resources for this work.
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Stephen Carlson

Re: Greek text of Andreas on the Apocalypse

Post by Stephen Carlson »

This text looks like an epitome of or extracts from Andreas. There is a commentary on Revelation attributed to Oecumenius but the text is different.

I believe that Cramer is the editor of this text. You can probably find more information about it by looking up his edition.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Stirling Bartholomew

Stephen Carlson wrote: January 31st, 2019, 5:41 pm This text looks like an epitome of or extracts from Andreas. There is a commentary on Revelation attributed to Oecumenius but the text is different.

I believe that Cramer is the editor of this text. You can probably find more information about it by looking up his edition.
I am reading all of the several of the Patristic Greek commentaries/scolia on the Apocalypse. I have Oecumenius on hand. I started with Cassian the Sabaite[1] which is found under Origin. There is a lot of shared material among the several authors. I am also getting a steady stream of monographs some of which are fairly recent, for example:

Format: Book
Title: Andrew of Caesarea. Commentary on the Apocalypse.
Author: Eugenia Scarvelis Constantinou
ISBN:
Publisher: Catholic University of America Press
Year Published: 2011

Format: Book
Title: Guiding to a Blessed End: Andrew of Caesarea and His Apocalypse Commentary in the Ancient Church
Author: Eugenia Scarvelis Constantinou
Publisher: Catholic University of America Press
Year Published: 2013
It makes sense to read all of this material to pick up some background as well as shared vocabulary.

[1] Cassian the Sabaite http://www.cambridgeblog.org/2014/06/an ... evelation/
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Stirling Bartholomew

The concise version[1] of the Greek Text of Andreas is better viewed using the Scaife Viewer. I had a lot of trouble getting to this so I am posting the link so I can come back here again if I somehow loose track of it.

https://scaife.perseus.org/reader/urn:c ... -grc1:1.12

I found Andreas' comments on Rev. 1:12a fascinating.

Rev. 1:12a [NA27] Καὶ ἐπέστρεψα βλέπειν τὴν φωνὴν ἥτις ἐλάλει μετ᾿ ἐμοῦ, ...

Andreas [concise version]
Καὶ ἐπέστρεψα βλέπειν.

Ὅτι οὐκ ἦν αἰσθητὴ ἡ φωνὴ, δηλοῖ λέγων· ἐπέστρεψα, οὐ τοῦa ἀκοῦσαι, ἀλλὰ τοῦ βλέπειν τὴν φωνήν· ταὐτὸν γάρ ἐστιν ἡ πνευματικὴ ἀκοή τε καὶ ὅρασις. ἐπιστρέψας δέ φησιν, εἰδον ἑπτὰ
λυχνίας, ἃς παρακατιὼν τὰς ἐκκλησίας ἐννόησε, καὶ ἐν μέσῳ αὐτῶν τὸν Χριστὸν, ὁμοῖον ἀνθρώπῳ, διὰ τὸ καὶ Θεὸν αὐτὸν εἶναι καὶ οὐ ψιλὸν ἄνθρωπον, ἐνδεδυμένον ποδήρη, ὡς ἀρχιερέα τῶν ἄνω, κατὰ τάξιν Μελχισεδὲκ, ζώνην καὶ χρυσῆν περιεζωσμένον, οὐκ ἐν τῇ ὀσφύι, ὥσπερ οἱ λοιποὶ ἄνθρωποι πρὸς ἐποχὴν τῶν ἡδονῶν·
[1] Catenae (Novum Testamentum), Commentarius In Apocalypsin (Pseudo-Oecumenii) (E Cod. Coislin.
C. Stirling Bartholomew

Return to “Church Fathers and Patristic Greek Texts”