Logos vs logeo

Is vocalizing the Greek words and sentences important? If so, how should Greek be pronounced (what arguments can be made for one pronunciation over another or others?) How can I write Greek characters clearly and legibly?
Jeff Price

Logos vs logeo

Post by Jeff Price »

Hello all, I am a very, very, VERY new beginner in koine Greek. I have a question:

In First John 1:9, confess is homologeo (ὁμολογέω), homo (ὁμοῦ) meaning same, logeo from logos(λόγος), meaning word.

My question is this:

What does the the change from ὁ in logos to the έω in logeo indicate? In other words, is there a substantive difference between logos and logeo in this case? And probably just as imnportant, does it even matter?

I am a small group leader, and I am studying this word for our next lesson tomorrow. I will be looking at my commentaries next.
Barry Hofstetter

Re: Logos vs logeo

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Jeff wrote:Hello all, I am a very, very, VERY new beginner in koine Greek. I have a question:

In First John 1:9, confess is homologeo (ὁμολογέω), homo (ὁμοῦ) meaning same, logeo from logos(λόγος), meaning word.

My question is this:

What does the the change from ὁ in logos to the έω in logeo indicate? In other words, is there a substantive difference between logos and logeo in this case? And probably just as imnportant, does it even matter?

I am a small group leader, and I am studying this word for our next lesson tomorrow. I will be looking at my commentaries next.
Jeff, I have sent you an email about our policy with regard to the use of first name and last name in logins, but since your question appears to be time sensitive, I've approved your post in order for you to get an answer... :D

And that answer is that λόγος is a noun, and -λογέω is a verb. The root is the same but how the words are used syntactically in the sentence is very different. It should make no difference at all for your small group...
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Jeff Price

Re: Logos vs logeo

Post by Jeff Price »

Thank you very much Barry! :D

Return to “Alphabet and Pronunciation”