Identifying Stems

How can I best learn the paradigms of nouns and verbs and the other inflected parts of speech?
TheBard

Identifying Stems

Post by TheBard »

Hi,
I'm currently looking at declining nouns, I understand the concept of cases and declensions well enough but I am struggling to find anything that talks about the actual stems! How do you identify the root stem of a noun? Is the dictionary definition the one? Sorry for such a basic question, just struggling with stems. Any help very much appreciated.

Regards
Barry Hofstetter

Re: Identifying Stems

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

TheBard wrote:Hi,
I'm currently looking at declining nouns, I understand the concept of cases and declensions well enough but I am struggling to find anything that talks about the actual stems! How do you identify the root stem of a noun? Is the dictionary definition the one? Sorry for such a basic question, just struggling with stems. Any help very much appreciated.

Regards
Get a knife. Grab the noun and hold it down (they tend to struggle and squeal). Then cut of it's genitive. What's left is the stem.

ανθρὠπου, άνθρωπ | ου so that άνθρωπ is the stem. Similarly:
νυκτὀς, νυκτ | ος so that νυκτ- is the stem.

Oh, and a reminder to send an administrator your first/last name information so that we can fulfill B-Greek policy.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
TheBard

Re: Identifying Stems

Post by TheBard »

I actually sorted this problem out just after posting that message. It's actually quite easy, adjectives too. I read something in an old grammar book that was very awkwardly worded that confused me, so I'm still in search of that elusive book that resonates with me.

Return to “Learning Paradigms”