Generating examples for verb charts

How can I best learn the paradigms of nouns and verbs and the other inflected parts of speech?
Jonathan Robie

Generating examples for verb charts

Post by Jonathan Robie »

I just wrote a function to generate examples that correspond to a given verb chart.

The idea is to make it easy to find examples to use for learning inductively. You know you want to teach or learn the forms found in this table, you know you want to do this by working through real examples, now you are looking for examples to do this with. It can also be used when writing worksheets or tutorials to illustrate a point of grammar. I wrote this mainly for my own use, but I'm posting it here to see if anyone else is interested in it. I'm also interested in ideas for improving this, or for similar tools.

To use the function, you specify the lemmas of the verbs you are interested in, and the forms you want the tables for, e.g. "PAI" for present active indicative, "PMI" for present middle indicative, etc. You also specify the maximum number of examples you want for a given form.

Here's an example:

Code: Select all

import module namespace m="http://ibiblio.org/bgreek/morph" at "./morph.xqlib";

m:verb-chart-examples(("λέγω","ἔχω","ποιέω"), ("PAI","PMI","IAI", "IMI"), 5)
That generates tables with up to 5 examples of each form, using only the three verbs specified. In general, using 15 examples per form makes it easier to find good examples to use, but I will show output for 2 examples per form below for the sake of brevity.

It's also possible to select verbs by frequency, e.g. verbs occurring between 200 and 2400 times:

m:verb-chart-examples(m:frequent-verbs(200, 2400)/@lemma, ("PAI","PMI","IAI", "IMI", "AAI", "AMI"), 2)
Here's output from the above example (showing only the first part of the output for the sake of brevity):
Verb chart examples

Lemmas: λέγω ἔχω γίνομαι ἔρχομαι ποιέω ὁράω ἀκούω δίδωμι λαλέω οἶδα λαμβάνω πιστεύω ἀποκρίνομαι γινώσκω ἐξέρχομαι δύναμαι θέλω

Forms: PAI PMI IAI IMI AAI AMI

PAI

1st person singular

(Book 01 03:09) λέγω γὰρ ὑμῖν ὅτι δύναται ὁ θεὸς ἐκ τῶν λίθων τούτων ἐγεῖραι τέκνα τῷ Ἀβραάμ .

(Book 01 03:14) ὁ δὲ Ἰωάννης διεκώλυεν αὐτὸν λέγων Ἐγὼ χρείαν ἔχω ὑπὸ σοῦ βαπτισθῆναι ,

1st person plural

(Book 01 03:08) ποιήσατε οὖν καρπὸν ἄξιον τῆς μετανοίας καὶ μὴ δόξητε λέγειν ἐν ἑαυτοῖς Πατέρα ἔχομεν τὸν Ἀβραάμ ,

(Book 01 12:38) θέλομεν ἀπὸ σοῦ σημεῖον ἰδεῖν .

2d person singular

(Book 01 13:10) Καὶ προσελθόντες οἱ μαθηταὶ εἶπαν αὐτῷ Διὰ τί ἐν παραβολαῖς λαλεῖς αὐτοῖς ;

(Book 01 13:28) οἱ δὲ δοῦλοι αὐτῷ λέγουσιν Θέλεις οὖν ἀπελθόντες συλλέξωμεν αὐτά ;

2d person plural

(Book 01 05:46) τίνα μισθὸν ἔχετε ;

(Book 01 05:47) τί περισσὸν ποιεῖτε ;

3d person singular

(Book 01 04:06) καὶ λέγει αὐτῷ Εἰ υἱὸς εἶ τοῦ θεοῦ ,

(Book 01 04:10) τότε λέγει αὐτῷ ὁ Ἰησοῦς Ὕπαγε ,

3d person plural

(Book 01 05:46) οὐχὶ καὶ οἱ τελῶναι τὸ αὐτὸ ποιοῦσιν ;

(Book 01 05:47) οὐχὶ καὶ οἱ ἐθνικοὶ τὸ αὐτὸ ποιοῦσιν ;

PMI

1st person singular

(Book 01 09:28) καὶ λέγει αὐτοῖς ὁ Ἰησοῦς Πιστεύετε ὅτι δύναμαι τοῦτο ποιῆσαι ;

(Book 01 26:52) πάντες γὰρ οἱ λαβόντες μάχαιραν ἐν μαχαίρῃ ἀπολοῦνται ἢ δοκεῖς ὅτι οὐ δύναμαι παρακαλέσαι τὸν πατέρα μου ,

1st person plural

(Book 01 20:22) λέγουσιν αὐτῷ Δυνάμεθα .

(Book 02 10:39) οἱ δὲ εἶπαν αὐτῷ Δυνάμεθα .

!!! SNIP !!!
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
SusanJeffers

Re: Generating examples for verb charts

Post by SusanJeffers »

I'm very interested in this method, Jonathan. I spend a lot of time picking through the NT (and LXX) looking for examples of whatever we're studying in my class, and the idea of being able to generate them automatically would be great.

However I have no idea what software you're using, that takes these commands/code that you've written. Nor what is the language in which your commands/code are/is written.

Maybe I missed something along the way - I've been mostly offline the last 2 weeks -- what database or computer program or web page or whatever are you querying?

Thanks!
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

SusanJeffers wrote:I'm very interested in this method, Jonathan. I spend a lot of time picking through the NT (and LXX) looking for examples of whatever we're studying in my class, and the idea of being able to generate them automatically would be great.

However I have no idea what software you're using, that takes these commands/code that you've written. Nor what is the language in which your commands/code are/is written.

Maybe I missed something along the way - I've been mostly offline the last 2 weeks -- what database or computer program or web page or whatever are you querying?
Hi Susan,

I've been doing this with a home-grown system. I took James Tauber's morphologically tagged GNT, converted it to XML, and wrote an XQuery library to query it. It's not in a database, I'm running this on the file system.

The way I'm doing it right now is useful mostly for programmers.

HOWEVER

If you have a set of verbs you want verb charts for, it's really easy for me to run the query and give you the results. So just tell me what verbs, which forms, and how many examples per form, and I'm happy to run it and give you the output.

And if enough people want something like this, I could imagine putting a web page in front of it to make it easy to use.

Here's the XQuery source for the function that generates the tables shown in this thread:

declare function morph:verb-chart-examples($lemmas as xs:string+, $forms as xs:string+, $max as xs:integer)
{ 
<section>
  <title>Verb chart examples</title>
  {
  <p>Lemmas: { $lemmas }</p>,
  <p>Forms: { $forms }</p>,
  for $form in $forms
  return
     <section>
       <title>{ $form }</title>
        {
          for $person in (1, 2, 3),
              $number in ("S", "P")
          let $pc := concat($person,$form,"-",$number,"--")
          return 
             <section>
                <title>
                 { 
                   switch ($person)
                     case 1 return "1st person"
                     case 2 return "2d person"
                     case 3 return "3d person"
                     default return "missing person"
                  switch ($number)
                     case "S" return "singular"
                     case "P" return "plural"
                     default return "missing number"
                 }
                </title>
                {
                  for $verb at $i in doc("gnt.xml")//w[@pc=$pc and @lemma=$lemmas]
                  where $i <= $max
                  return $verb/parent::cl
                }
             </section>
        }
     </section>
  }
</section>
};
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
jeffreyrequadt

Post by jeffreyrequadt »

Has anyone done this with Logos or any other program? I haven't tried it before, but I expect it's possible.
Jeffrey T. Requadt
Tucson, AZ
SusanJeffers

Post by SusanJeffers »

thanks, Jonathan. I was a programmer long ago, but now all I do is a very little bit of html...

how about these 2 queries so I can get a feel for how it might help me in my teaching.

For Croy lesson 7, σωζω and εσθιω in the present indicative (any voice)

For Croy lesson 20, αγιαζω, γνωριζω, κτιζω, χαριζομαι, or γινομαι as perfect participle (any voice)

I think this method will work better with vocabulary from the early lessons, since those are the most common words overall.... but I'll be interested to see what these queries bring....

Thanks!!
jeffreyrequadt

Post by jeffreyrequadt »

Using Logos, I was able to do the following. I don't think I'm in copyright violation.

lemma:σῴζω@VP?I

Nestle-Aland Greek New Testament, 27th Edition 6 results in 3 verses

1 Cor 15:2
διʼ οὗ καὶ σῴζεσθε, τίνι λόγῳ εὐηγγελισάμην ὑμῖν εἰ κατέχετε, ἐκτὸς εἰ μὴ εἰκῇ ἐπιστεύσατε.

1 Pet 3:21
ὃ καὶ ὑμᾶς ἀντίτυπον νῦν σῴζει βάπτισμα, οὐ σαρκὸς ἀπόθεσις ῥύπου ἀλλὰ συνειδήσεως ἀγαθῆς ἐπερώτημα εἰς θεόν, διʼ ἀναστάσεως Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ,

1 Pet 4:18
καὶ εἰ ὁ δίκαιος μόλις σῴζεται, ὁ ἀσεβὴς καὶ ἁμαρτωλὸς ποῦ φανεῖται;

Exported from Logos Bible Software 4, 1:03 PM July 11, 2011.

lemma:ἐσθίω@vp?i

Nestle-Aland Greek New Testament, 27th Edition 40 results in 17 verses

Matt 9:11
καὶ ἰδόντες οἱ Φαρισαῖοι ἔλεγον τοῖς μαθηταῖς αὐτοῦ· διὰ τί μετὰ τῶν τελωνῶν καὶ ἁμαρτωλῶν ἐσθίει ὁ διδάσκαλος ὑμῶν;

Matt 15:27
ἡ δὲ εἶπεν· ναὶ κύριε, καὶ γὰρ τὰ κυνάρια ἐσθίει ἀπὸ τῶν ψιχίων τῶν πιπτόντων ἀπὸ τῆς τραπέζης τῶν κυρίων αὐτῶν.

Mark 2:16
καὶ οἱ γραμματεῖς τῶν Φαρισαίων ἰδόντες ὅτι ἐσθίει μετὰ τῶν ἁμαρτωλῶν καὶ τελωνῶν ἔλεγον τοῖς μαθηταῖς αὐτοῦ· ὅτι μετὰ τῶν τελωνῶν καὶ ἁμαρτωλῶν ἐσθίει;

Mark 7:2
καὶ ἰδόντες τινὰς τῶν μαθητῶν αὐτοῦ ὅτι κοιναῖς χερσίν, τοῦτʼ ἔστιν ἀνίπτοις, ἐσθίουσιν τοὺς ἄρτους

Mark 7:3
- οἱ γὰρ Φαρισαῖοι καὶ πάντες οἱ Ἰουδαῖοι ἐὰν μὴ πυγμῇ νίψωνται τὰς χεῖρας οὐκ ἐσθίουσιν, κρατοῦντες τὴν παράδοσιν τῶν πρεσβυτέρων,

Mark 7:4
καὶ ἀπʼ ἀγορᾶς ἐὰν μὴ βαπτίσωνται οὐκ ἐσθίουσιν, καὶ ἄλλα πολλά ἐστιν ἃ παρέλαβον κρατεῖν, βαπτισμοὺς ποτηρίων καὶ ξεστῶν καὶ χαλκίων [καὶ κλινῶν] -

Mark 7:5
καὶ ἐπερωτῶσιν αὐτὸν οἱ Φαρισαῖοι καὶ οἱ γραμματεῖς· διὰ τί οὐ περιπατοῦσιν οἱ μαθηταί σου κατὰ τὴν παράδοσιν τῶν πρεσβυτέρων, ἀλλὰ κοιναῖς χερσὶν ἐσθίουσιν τὸν ἄρτον;

Mark 7:28
ἡ δὲ ἀπεκρίθη καὶ λέγει αὐτῷ· κύριε· καὶ τὰ κυνάρια ὑποκάτω τῆς τραπέζης ἐσθίουσιν ἀπὸ τῶν ψιχίων τῶν παιδίων.

Luke 5:30
καὶ ἐγόγγυζον οἱ Φαρισαῖοι καὶ οἱ γραμματεῖς αὐτῶν πρὸς τοὺς μαθητὰς αὐτοῦ λέγοντες· διὰ τί μετὰ τῶν τελωνῶν καὶ ἁμαρτωλῶν ἐσθίετε καὶ πίνετε;

Luke 5:33
Οἱ δὲ εἶπαν πρὸς αὐτόν· οἱ μαθηταὶ Ἰωάννου νηστεύουσιν πυκνὰ καὶ δεήσεις ποιοῦνται ὁμοίως καὶ οἱ τῶν Φαρισαίων, οἱ δὲ σοὶ ἐσθίουσιν καὶ πίνουσιν.

Rom 14:2
ὃς μὲν πιστεύει φαγεῖν πάντα, ὁ δὲ ἀσθενῶν λάχανα ἐσθίει.

Rom 14:6
ὁ φρονῶν τὴν ἡμέραν κυρίῳ φρονεῖ · καὶ ὁ ἐσθίων κυρίῳ ἐσθίει, εὐχαριστεῖ γὰρ τῷ θεῷ· καὶ ὁ μὴ ἐσθίων κυρίῳ οὐκ ἐσθίει καὶ εὐχαριστεῖ τῷ θεῷ.

1 Cor 8:7
Ἀλλʼ οὐκ ἐν πᾶσιν ἡ γνῶσις· τινὲς δὲ τῇ συνηθείᾳ ἕως ἄρτι τοῦ εἰδώλου ὡς εἰδωλόθυτον ἐσθίουσιν, καὶ ἡ συνείδησις αὐτῶν ἀσθενὴς οὖσα μολύνεται.

1 Cor 9:7
Τίς στρατεύεται ἰδίοις ὀψωνίοις ποτέ; τίς φυτεύει ἀμπελῶνα καὶ τὸν καρπὸν αὐτοῦ οὐκ ἐσθίει; ἢ τίς ποιμαίνει ποίμνην καὶ ἐκ τοῦ γάλακτος τῆς ποίμνης οὐκ ἐσθίει;

1 Cor 9:13
Οὐκ οἴδατε ὅτι οἱ τὰ ἱερὰ ἐργαζόμενοι [τὰ] ἐκ τοῦ ἱεροῦ ἐσθίουσιν, οἱ τῷ θυσιαστηρίῳ παρεδρεύοντες τῷ θυσιαστηρίῳ συμμερίζονται;

1 Cor 10:31
Εἴτε οὖν ἐσθίετε εἴτε πίνετε εἴτε τι ποιεῖτε, πάντα εἰς δόξαν θεοῦ ποιεῖτε.

1 Cor 11:29
ὁ γὰρ ἐσθίων καὶ πίνων κρίμα ἑαυτῷ ἐσθίει καὶ πίνει μὴ διακρίνων τὸ σῶμα.

Exported from Logos Bible Software 4, 1:05 PM July 11, 2011.
Jeffrey T. Requadt
Tucson, AZ
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

SusanJeffers wrote:thanks, Jonathan. I was a programmer long ago, but now all I do is a very little bit of html...

how about these 2 queries so I can get a feel for how it might help me in my teaching.

For Croy lesson 7, σωζω and εσθιω in the present indicative (any voice)
Do you want a list of all results together, as in Jeffrey's output, or do you want it broken down by person and number, as in the examples I gave above?

Do you want a separate list for each verb, or do you want one list with both verbs together?

Do you want all three voices together in one set of results, or do you want a separate list of examples for each voice?
SusanJeffers wrote:For Croy lesson 20, αγιαζω, γνωριζω, κτιζω, χαριζομαι, or γινομαι as perfect participle (any voice)
I haven't set this up to generate the tables for a participle yet, but I will do that soon. I'll have similar questions, though - do you want all these verbs together or separate? All voices mixed together or separate? Do you want me to group results by case, gender, and number?
SusanJeffers

Post by SusanJeffers »

@Jeffrey -

I'm not sure I understand the output - taking the shorter list, how are there "6 results in 3 verses" for σῴζω? I see the 3 verses, each with one occurrence of σῴζω in the present indicative; what are the "6 results"? Same thing in the second list - I see 17 verses but not 40 results...?
SusanJeffers

Post by SusanJeffers »

Jonathan wrote:
Do you want a list of all results together, as in Jeffrey's output, or do you want it broken down by person and number, as in the examples I gave above?
I'd find it more useful by person & number... thanks!
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

SusanJeffers wrote:I'd find it more useful by person & number... thanks!
Here's what I got - I should compare my results to Jeffrey's to see if there are any discrepancies, but I haven't done that yet.

Verb chart examples

Lemmas: σῴζω ἐσθίω

Forms: PAI PMI PPI

PAI

1st person singular

1st person plural

2d person singular

2d person plural

(Book 03 05:30) καὶ ἐγόγγυζον οἱ Φαρισαῖοι καὶ οἱ γραμματεῖς αὐτῶν πρὸς τοὺς μαθητὰς αὐτοῦ λέγοντες Διὰ τί μετὰ τῶν τελωνῶν καὶ ἁμαρτωλῶν ἐσθίετε καὶ πίνετε ;

(Book 07 10:31) Εἴτε οὖν ἐσθίετε εἴτε πίνετε εἴτε τι ποιεῖτε ,

3d person singular

(Book 01 09:11) καὶ ἰδόντες οἱ Φαρισαῖοι ἔλεγον τοῖς μαθηταῖς αὐτοῦ Διὰ τί μετὰ τῶν τελωνῶν καὶ ἁμαρτωλῶν ἐσθίει ὁ διδάσκαλος ὑμῶν ;

(Book 01 15:27) καὶ γὰρ τὰ κυνάρια ἐσθίει ἀπὸ τῶν ψιχίων τῶν πιπτόντων ἀπὸ τῆς τραπέζης τῶν κυρίων αὐτῶν .

(Book 02 02:16) καὶ οἱ γραμματεῖς τῶν Φαρισαίων ἰδόντες ὅτι ἐσθίει μετὰ τῶν ἁμαρτωλῶν καὶ τελωνῶν ἔλεγον τοῖς μαθηταῖς αὐτοῦ Ὅτι μετὰ τῶν τελωνῶν καὶ ἁμαρτωλῶν ἐσθίει ;

(Book 02 02:16) καὶ οἱ γραμματεῖς τῶν Φαρισαίων ἰδόντες ὅτι ἐσθίει μετὰ τῶν ἁμαρτωλῶν καὶ τελωνῶν ἔλεγον τοῖς μαθηταῖς αὐτοῦ Ὅτι μετὰ τῶν τελωνῶν καὶ ἁμαρτωλῶν ἐσθίει ;

(Book 06 14:02) ὁ δὲ ἀσθενῶν λάχανα ἐσθίει .

(Book 06 14:06) καὶ ὁ ἐσθίων κυρίῳ ἐσθίει ,

(Book 06 14:06) εὐχαριστεῖ γὰρ τῷ θεῷ καὶ ὁ μὴ ἐσθίων κυρίῳ οὐκ ἐσθίει ,

(Book 07 09:07) τίς φυτεύει ἀμπελῶνα καὶ τὸν καρπὸν αὐτοῦ οὐκ ἐσθίει ;

(Book 07 09:07) τίς ποιμαίνει ποίμνην καὶ ἐκ τοῦ γάλακτος τῆς ποίμνης οὐκ ἐσθίει ;

(Book 07 11:28) καὶ οὕτως ἐκ τοῦ ἄρτου ἐσθιέτω καὶ ἐκ τοῦ ποτηρίου πινέτω ὁ γὰρ ἐσθίων καὶ πίνων κρίμα ἑαυτῷ ἐσθίει καὶ πίνει μὴ διακρίνων τὸ σῶμα .

(Book 21 03:21) ὃ καὶ ὑμᾶς ἀντίτυπον νῦν σῴζει βάπτισμα ,

3d person plural

(Book 02 07:02) ἐσθίουσιν τοὺς ἄρτους οἱ γὰρ Φαρισαῖοι καὶ πάντες οἱ Ἰουδαῖοι ἐὰν μὴ πυγμῇ νίψωνται τὰς χεῖρας οὐκ ἐσθίουσιν ,

(Book 02 07:02) ἐσθίουσιν τοὺς ἄρτους οἱ γὰρ Φαρισαῖοι καὶ πάντες οἱ Ἰουδαῖοι ἐὰν μὴ πυγμῇ νίψωνται τὰς χεῖρας οὐκ ἐσθίουσιν ,

(Book 02 07:04) καὶ ἀπ’ ἀγορᾶς ἐὰν μὴ βαπτίσωνται οὐκ ἐσθίουσιν ,

(Book 02 07:05) ἀλλὰ κοιναῖς χερσὶν ἐσθίουσιν τὸν ἄρτον ;

(Book 02 07:28) καὶ τὰ κυνάρια ὑποκάτω τῆς τραπέζης ἐσθίουσιν ἀπὸ τῶν ψιχίων τῶν παιδίων .

(Book 03 05:33) οἱ δὲ σοὶ ἐσθίουσιν καὶ πίνουσιν .

(Book 07 08:07) Ἀλλ’ οὐκ ἐν πᾶσιν ἡ γνῶσις τινὲς δὲ τῇ συνηθείᾳ ἕως ἄρτι τοῦ εἰδώλου ὡς εἰδωλόθυτον ἐσθίουσιν ,

(Book 07 09:13) οὐκ οἴδατε ὅτι οἱ τὰ ἱερὰ ἐργαζόμενοι τὰ ἐκ τοῦ ἱεροῦ ἐσθίουσιν ,

PMI

1st person singular

1st person plural

2d person singular

2d person plural

3d person singular

3d person plural

PPI

1st person singular

1st person plural

2d person singular

2d person plural

(Book 07 15:02) δι’ οὗ καὶ σῴζεσθε ,

3d person singular

(Book 21 04:18) καὶ εἰ ὁ δίκαιος μόλις σῴζεται ,

3d person plural

Return to “Learning Paradigms”