αναλειψω definition

How can I best learn new vocabulary items? What aids are there and what pitfalls should be avoided? How does a beginner learn to use a lexicon?
Wes Wood

αναλειψω definition

Post by Wes Wood »

I can find glosses and translations that take this word into account, but I can't seem to find a lexical entry for αναλειπω. Is it as unusual as it appears to be or am I wrong about the lexical form? (I am inclined to find the latter option more likely.)
Ἀσπάζομαι μὲν καὶ φιλῶ, πείσομαι δὲ μᾶλλον τῷ θεῷ ἢ ὑμῖν.-Ἀπολογία Σωκράτους 29δ
Stephen Hughes

Re: αναλειψω definition

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Wes Wood wrote:I can find glosses and translations that take this word into account, but I can't seem to find a lexical entry for αναλειπω. Is it as unusual as it appears to be or am I wrong about the lexical form? (I am inclined to find the latter option more likely.)
This is Greek, not Tagalog. There are more than one types of labials in the language. Look at the first and last entries in this list...
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Wes Wood wrote:I can find glosses and translations that take this word into account, but I can't seem to find a lexical entry for αναλειπω. Is it as unusual as it appears to be or am I wrong about the lexical form? (I am inclined to find the latter option more likely.)
Are you looking at this verse?
Luke 9:51 wrote:Ἐγένετο δὲ ἐν τῷ συμπληροῦσθαι τὰς ἡμέρας τῆς ἀναλήμψεως αὐτοῦ καὶ αὐτὸς τὸ ⸀πρόσωπον ⸀ἐστήρισεν τοῦ πορεύεσθαι εἰς Ἰερουσαλήμ
If so, I think it's this word:
Abbott-Smith wrote:ἀνά-λημψις, -εως, ἡ (κοινή form of ἀνάληψις; v. Th., Gr., 108 f.),
a taking up: Lk 9:51 (MM, VGT, s.v.).†
ἀνά-ληψις, -εως, ἡ, Rec. for ἀνάλημψις, q.v.
Abbott-Smith doesn't list ἀνά-λείπω as a word, and I did not find an occurrence in the Greek New Testament.. Here are related words that Abbott-Smith does list:
Abbott-Smith wrote:λείπω [in LXX: Jb 4:11, Pr 19:4 (פָּרַד), al. ;]
1. trans., to leave, leave behind; pass., to be left behind, to lack seq. prep. (as more usual in cl.), ἐν, Ja 1:4; c. gen. rei, Ja 1:5 2:15.
2. Intrans., to be gone, to be wanting: c. dat. pers., Lk 18:22, Tit 3:13; τὰ λείποντα, Tit 1:5
(cf. ἀπο-, δια-, ἐκ-, ἐπι-, κατα-, ἐν-κατα-, περι-, ὑπο-λείπω).†
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Wes Wood

Post by Wes Wood »

Stephen Hughes wrote:There are more than one types of labials in the language.
OUCH! But...but...I checked all the possibilities I could think of before I posted. I did not find an entry for anything that I thought would fit. I was just giving my guess of what I thought was most likely. :cry: On the other hand, I did not even know that you could search LSJ like you did so that alone was worth the question. 8-)
Jonathan Robie wrote:Are you looking at this verse?
I was reading Genesis 6:7 in the Septuagint. I am sorry I did not post this earlier.
Septuagint wrote:6:7 καὶ εἶπεν ὁ θεός ἀπαλείψω τὸν ἄνθρωπον ὃν ἐποίησα ἀπὸ προσώπου τῆς γῆς ἀπὸ ἀνθρώπου ἕως κτήνους καὶ ἀπὸ ἑρπετῶν ἕως τῶν πετεινῶν τοῦ οὐρανοῦ ὅτι ἐθυμώθην ὅτι ἐποίησα αὐτούς.
It is not hard to figure out what is meant, but I was hoping to look at a lexical entry for the word.
Ἀσπάζομαι μὲν καὶ φιλῶ, πείσομαι δὲ μᾶλλον τῷ θεῷ ἢ ὑμῖν.-Ἀπολογία Σωκράτους 29δ
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Wes Wood wrote:I was reading Genesis 6:7 in the Septuagint. I am sorry I did not post this earlier.
Septuagint wrote:6:7 καὶ εἶπεν ὁ θεός ἀπαλείψω τὸν ἄνθρωπον ὃν ἐποίησα ἀπὸ προσώπου τῆς γῆς ἀπὸ ἀνθρώπου ἕως κτήνους καὶ ἀπὸ ἑρπετῶν ἕως τῶν πετεινῶν τοῦ οὐρανοῦ ὅτι ἐθυμώθην ὅτι ἐποίησα αὐτούς.
It is not hard to figure out what is meant, but I was hoping to look at a lexical entry for the word.
Got it. The word you are looking for is ἀπαλείφω:
ἀπαλείφω:
From An Intermediate Greek-English Lexicon (Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott)
to wipe off, expunge
ἀπ-, not αν-
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
cwconrad

Post by cwconrad »

Sometimes the combination of a prefix ending in a vowel and a verb root beginning with a vowel obscures things:
ἀνα + ἀλείφειν
I expect to be chided for giving away what should have been labored at, but what the heck?
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Wes Wood

Post by Wes Wood »

cwconrad wrote:I expect to be chided for giving away what should have been labored at, but what the heck?
I have the market cornered on chiding, I'm afraid. No wonder I couldn't find it: "π" looks nothing like "ν"! :oops: I may have glasses in my future.
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Wes Wood wrote:
Stephen Hughes wrote:There are more than one types of labials in the language.
OUCH! But...but...I checked all the possibilities I could think of before I posted. I did not find an entry for anything that I thought would fit. I was just giving my guess of what I thought was most likely. :cry: On the other hand, I did not even know that you could search LSJ like you did so that alone was worth the question. 8-)
I remember that ἀλείφειν is one of those verbs that appears to be (illogically) reversed by the addition of the preposition.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Wes Wood

Post by Wes Wood »

Thank all of you for the responses.

Return to “Vocabulary”