Suneudokeó Meaning & Alternates?

How can I best learn new vocabulary items? What aids are there and what pitfalls should be avoided? How does a beginner learn to use a lexicon?
ValRose

Suneudokeó Meaning & Alternates?

Post by ValRose »

Greetings!
In 1Cor 7:12,13 where it says, “If any brother has a wife who does not believe, and she is “pleased to” (Suneudokeó) dwell with him, do not put her away” (NKJV) (or “consents to” dwell (NASB)...
My word study thus far on Suneudokeó brings up a few questions.
1) The word Suneudokeó seems to express more than just a “neutral” consent—But rather a pleased or hearty (or at least genuine) consent. Based on word meaning alone, it seems to me the KJV & NKJV have the more accurate translation. Consent is also an accurate translation—but—our English meaning of the word “consent” allows for a neutral or even begrudging consent. Would you agree that Suneudokeó does not actually allow for a begrudging consent?
2) Are there any ALTERNATIVE words for consent in the Greek that could have been used?—That would have allowed for a more neutral or unspecific “tone” of consent? (like our English word allows for).

Also if anyone has any insights on the word used here for dwell, oikeó…
3611 oikéō (from 3624 /oíkos, "a house, dwelling, habitation") – properly, to make a home; living "at home" (i.e. comfortably) because it is one's residence; "to be at home."

This question is less significant for me, and my intention is not to get into a theological discussion (which isn’t allowed on the forum). But I’m just wondering if a person living in the same house for monetary reasons—But living in a separate room, not taking part in family meals nor conversing and being part of the family—would “fit” this word for dwell?

Please know I’m not a Greek scholar at all – My study has not gone beyond word studies so you’re dealing with an “amateur” here! Questions 1) & 2) are my main concern and any input at all would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!
Jason Hare

Re: Suneudokeó Meaning & Alternates?

Post by Jason Hare »

ValRose wrote:Greetings!
In 1Cor 7:12,13 where it says, “If any brother has a wife who does not believe, and she is “pleased to” (Suneudokeó) dwell with him, do not put her away” (NKJV) (or “consents to” dwell (NASB)...
My word study thus far on Suneudokeó brings up a few questions.
1) The word Suneudokeó seems to express more than just a “neutral” consent—But rather a pleased or hearty (or at least genuine) consent. Based on word meaning alone, it seems to me the KJV & NKJV have the more accurate translation. Consent is also an accurate translation—but—our English meaning of the word “consent” allows for a neutral or even begrudging consent. Would you agree that Suneudokeó does not actually allow for a begrudging consent?
2) Are there any ALTERNATIVE words for consent in the Greek that could have been used?—That would have allowed for a more neutral or unspecific “tone” of consent? (like our English word allows for).

Also if anyone has any insights on the word used here for dwell, oikeó…
3611 oikéō (from 3624 /oíkos, "a house, dwelling, habitation") – properly, to make a home; living "at home" (i.e. comfortably) because it is one's residence; "to be at home."

This question is less significant for me, and my intention is not to get into a theological discussion (which isn’t allowed on the forum). But I’m just wondering if a person living in the same house for monetary reasons—But living in a separate room, not taking part in family meals nor conversing and being part of the family—would “fit” this word for dwell?

Please know I’m not a Greek scholar at all – My study has not gone beyond word studies so you’re dealing with an “amateur” here! Questions 1) & 2) are my main concern and any input at all would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!
Welcome to the forum.

First, since this forum is dedicated to study and discussion of things related to the Greek language, we prefer that participants post the text in Greek. You can find it online in several places (biblegateway.com, blueletterbible.org, academic-bible.com). Here are the verses in question:
Τοῖς δὲ λοιποῖς λέγω ἐγὼ οὐχ ὁ κύριος· εἴ τις ἀδελφὸς γυναῖκα ἔχει ἄπιστον καὶ αὕτη συνευδοκεῖ οἰκεῖν μετ’ αὐτοῦ, μὴ ἀφιέτω αὐτήν· καὶ γυνὴ εἴ τις ἔχει ἄνδρα ἄπιστον καὶ οὗτος συνευδοκεῖ οἰκεῖν μετ’ αὐτῆς, μὴ ἀφιέτω τὸν ἄνδρα.
There are two parts of συνευδοκέω that make it a "good" type of consent. (1) It has εὖ in it, which means "good" or "well." Thus, we should think that it seemed good to her. (2) It has σύν as a prefix, which indicates that it was in agreement "together with" her husband. The word "consent" here is chosen in the good sense. She isn't being forced to stay.

The word οἰκέω here just means what it normally means - that she doesn't leave the house. She stays and lives with him in the house. You shouldn't read more into it than this.

There are several verbs in Greek that cover the range of meanings of "consent" in English. I'm not sure of the connotations of each one.
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel

Return to “Vocabulary”