What does this text mean?

How do I work out the meaning of a Greek text? How can I best understand the forms and vocabulary in this particular text?
Forum rules
This is a beginner's forum - see the Koine Greek forum for more advanced discussion of Greek texts. Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up.

When answering questions in this forum, keep it simple, and aim your responses to the level of the person asking the question.
Jonathan Robie

What does this text mean?

Post by Jonathan Robie »

After reading through a few threads here, I thought it might be worth mentioning a few things about how we intend to use the "What does this text mean" subforum.

The description is fairly precise:
How do I work out the meaning of a Greek text? How can I best understand this particular text?
The title is perhaps less precise. Even in the Beginner's forum, we don't want to tell you what the text means, we want to help you figure out how to work out the meaning, and grow in your own ability to understand the texts.

So if we're a little evasive in our answers and ask you to take the next step, that's why.

Also: expect us to push you in the direction of working through a textbook systematically, or finding some other way to systematically learn the Greek language.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Jonathan Robie

Re: What does this text mean?

Post by Jonathan Robie »

I hope I didn't scare the fish with this announcement.

We really do appreciate questions from beginners, and I would like to see more of them. Questions about specific texts are among the most interesting threads for me.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
jdhadwin

Re: What does this text mean?

Post by jdhadwin »

Awesome, thanks for clarifying :D

Every word you've exchanged with me is much appreciated.

Thank you,

~John

Return to “What does this text mean?”