Matt 6:13 ἀλλὰ ῥῦσαι ἡμᾶς ἀπὸ τοῦ πονηροῦ

How do I work out the meaning of a Greek text? How can I best understand the forms and vocabulary in this particular text?
Forum rules
This is a beginner's forum - see the Koine Greek forum for more advanced discussion of Greek texts. Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up.

When answering questions in this forum, keep it simple, and aim your responses to the level of the person asking the question.
darrensolomonj

Matt 6:13 ἀλλὰ ῥῦσαι ἡμᾶς ἀπὸ τοῦ πονηροῦ

Post by darrensolomonj »

Hi everyone, just wanna ask which translation can this be?

Does it mean from the evil one or from evil? Is it possible to find out? Or is this debatable?
As I'm also not very well versed in the Bible, I cannot decide which fits in the general context of the whole Bible.

And what does Jesus mean when He says not to lead us into temptation?
To not even be tempted as being put in a situation where you have to decide whether to bear the temptation or not, or to not enter the the temptation as you have already fallen to temptation?
Please pardon me for my lack of knowledge.

Darren
Stephen Carlson

Re: Matt 6:13 ἀλλὰ ῥῦσαι ἡμᾶς ἀπὸ τοῦ πονηροῦ

Post by Stephen Carlson »

This verse has been discussed many times before on B-Greek, and there is good stuff in the archives like: http://www.ibiblio.org/bgreek/test-arch ... 20752.html

If you click on the "B-Greek Site Search" link in the upper right of this page, you should be able to find even more.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia

Return to “What does this text mean?”