καθ' εἷς (Romans 12:5)

How do I work out the meaning of a Greek text? How can I best understand the forms and vocabulary in this particular text?
Forum rules
This is a beginner's forum - see the Koine Greek forum for more advanced discussion of Greek texts. Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up.

When answering questions in this forum, keep it simple, and aim your responses to the level of the person asking the question.
Stephen Hughes

Re: καθ' εἷς (Romans 12:5)

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Danny King wrote: More intriguing, though, is the distinction that arises when accenting εστιν. Murray J. Harris in his EGGNT volume on Colossians and Philemon writes on page 42:
Αυτος εστιν may be accented in two ways: as ἀυτὸς ἔστιν, "he himself exists" or ἀυτὸς ἐστιν, "he himself is".
Is that the usage of ἔστιν for ἔξεστιν?
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
cwconrad

Re: καθ' εἷς (Romans 12:5)

Post by cwconrad »

Stephen Hughes wrote:
Danny King wrote: More intriguing, though, is the distinction that arises when accenting εστιν. Murray J. Harris in his EGGNT volume on Colossians and Philemon writes on page 42:
Αυτος εστιν may be accented in two ways: as ἀυτὸς ἔστιν, "he himself exists" or ἀυτὸς ἐστιν, "he himself is".
Is that the usage of ἔστιν for ἔξεστιν?
No; it is the distinction between existential and copulative usage of εἶναι:
ἔστιν ἀνθρωπός τις ὀνοματι Σωκράτης: There is (exists) a man named Socrates (existential)
ἄνθρωπός ἐστιν ὁ Σωκράτης: Socrates is a human being (copulative)

I think the usage of existential ἔστιν for ἔξεστιν is a different matter, something like, "The possibility exists to ... " or "There is [infinitive of action that is possible or allowed]."
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)

Return to “What does this text mean?”