Romans 16.7 - "Natural Gender" and "Arbitrary Gender"?

How do I work out the meaning of a Greek text? How can I best understand the forms and vocabulary in this particular text?
Forum rules
This is a beginner's forum - see the Koine Greek forum for more advanced discussion of Greek texts. Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up.

When answering questions in this forum, keep it simple, and aim your responses to the level of the person asking the question.
Danny King

Re: Romans 16.7 - "Natural Gender" and "Arbitrary Gender"?

Post by Danny King »

Stephen Carlson wrote: Perhaps it's considered weird because it's neuter and the referent is female. Not so weird to a Greek used to neuter diminutives.
I've been looking for information on Greek diminutives and found an amazing 17 page article in the Journal of Biblical Literature. And it's free, too! ;)
timothy_p_mcmahon

Post by timothy_p_mcmahon »

Danny King wrote:I've been looking for information on Greek diminutives and found an amazing 17 page article in the Journal of Biblical Literature. And it's free, too! ;)
Can you post the link?
Danny King

Post by Danny King »

timothy_p_mcmahon wrote:
Danny King wrote:I've been looking for information on Greek diminutives and found an amazing 17 page article in the Journal of Biblical Literature. And it's free, too! ;)
Can you post the link?
Here it is: http://www.jstor.org/stable/3264595?seq ... b_contents

Return to “What does this text mean?”