Mark 6:8 εἰ μή Conditional Statement Grammar

How do I work out the meaning of a Greek text? How can I best understand the forms and vocabulary in this particular text?
Forum rules
This is a beginner's forum - see the Koine Greek forum for more advanced discussion of Greek texts. Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up.

When answering questions in this forum, keep it simple, and aim your responses to the level of the person asking the question.
Jonathan Robie

Re: Mark 6:8 εἰ μή Conditional Statement Grammar

Post by Jonathan Robie »

William Lim wrote:Mmmm, doesn't the εἰ μὴ idiom require an apodosis clause directly before εἰ μὴ? So by inserting a relative clause just before εἰ μὴ, the relative clause becomes the apodosis. Would you agree with this?

I actually wanted 'which I see' to refer to 'the journey' (so that's why the relative pronoun is fem.,Sg, Acc.). Yeah, I know it sort of doesn't make much sense, it was meant to be an easy example. I was trying to express something like the journey which I envision/see/foresee. The point was more about the grammar of εἰ μὴ's sentence structure.
I'd like to see some real sentences where a relative clause occurs just before εἰ μὴ before drawing conclusions. Preferably a handful.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
William Lim

Post by William Lim »

Jonathan Robie wrote:
William Lim wrote:Mmmm, doesn't the εἰ μὴ idiom require an apodosis clause directly before εἰ μὴ? So by inserting a relative clause just before εἰ μὴ, the relative clause becomes the apodosis. Would you agree with this?

I actually wanted 'which I see' to refer to 'the journey' (so that's why the relative pronoun is fem.,Sg, Acc.). Yeah, I know it sort of doesn't make much sense, it was meant to be an easy example. I was trying to express something like the journey which I envision/see/foresee. The point was more about the grammar of εἰ μὴ's sentence structure.
I'd like to see some real sentences where a relative clause occurs just before εἰ μὴ before drawing conclusions. Preferably a handful.
Hi Jonathan,

Yes that's a good point. So in the 81 verses (85 matches) that has εἰ μὴ (G1508), I could not find any that has a relative clause inside an apodosis clause. Although 5 had εἰ μὴ at the start rather than at the middle. (Matt 24:22,Mk 13:20, Jn 9:33, Rom 9:29, 1Cor 7:17) and 3 seemed a bit unusual.

1Co 15:2
δι’ οὗ καὶ σῴζεσθε, τίνι λόγῳ εὐηγγελισάμην ὑμῖν, εἰ κατέχετε, ἐκτὸς εἰ μὴ εἰκῇ ἐπιστεύσατε.(SBL)
By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. (KJV)
Seems like there's a conditional clause within the apodosis but maybe its different because of ἐκτὸς(unless) next to εἰ μὴ.

Mat 19:9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.
Maybe "Whosoever shall put away his wife" is the apodosis then it does follow the idiom but could "committeth adultery" be the apodosis?

Luk 10:22 All things are delivered to me of my Father: and no man knoweth who the Son is, but the Father; and who the Father is, but the Son, and he to whom the Son will reveal him.
Seems like Luke tries to fit 2 εἰ μὴ clauses into one sentence so "no man knoweth" is omitted in the 2nd εἰ μὴ clause.

Thoughts please?
Thanks,
Will
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

William Lim wrote:Yes that's a good point. So in the 81 verses (85 matches) that has εἰ μὴ (G1508), I could not find any that has a relative clause inside an apodosis clause. Although 5 had εἰ μὴ at the start rather than at the middle. (Matt 24:22,Mk 13:20, Jn 9:33, Rom 9:29, 1Cor 7:17) and 3 seemed a bit unusual.

1Co 15:2
δι’ οὗ καὶ σῴζεσθε, τίνι λόγῳ εὐηγγελισάμην ὑμῖν, εἰ κατέχετε, ἐκτὸς εἰ μὴ εἰκῇ ἐπιστεύσατε.(SBL)
By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. (KJV)
Seems like there's a conditional clause within the apodosis but maybe its different because of ἐκτὸς(unless) next to εἰ μὴ.

Mat 19:9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.
Maybe "Whosoever shall put away his wife" is the apodosis then it does follow the idiom but could "committeth adultery" be the apodosis?

Luk 10:22 All things are delivered to me of my Father: and no man knoweth who the Son is, but the Father; and who the Father is, but the Son, and he to whom the Son will reveal him.
Seems like Luke tries to fit 2 εἰ μὴ clauses into one sentence so "no man knoweth" is omitted in the 2nd εἰ μὴ clause.

Thoughts please?
Could you please quote the Greek rather than the KJV? As the red box says at the top:
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up.
If you could do that, we could discuss the Greek rather than KJV translations of the Greek.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Return to “What does this text mean?”