Translation

How do I work out the meaning of a Greek text? How can I best understand the forms and vocabulary in this particular text?
Forum rules
This is a beginner's forum - see the Koine Greek forum for more advanced discussion of Greek texts. Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up.

When answering questions in this forum, keep it simple, and aim your responses to the level of the person asking the question.
koine1

Translation

Post by koine1 »

Hey guys, never been apart of an online forum. Just struggling with a text. Im an online student so hard to find people to chat with. Just getting caught up on this text:

ὁ κυριος κρινει ἡμας ἐν τῳ ερχεσθαι αυτον παλιν

From what I can gather it is: The Lord will come again to Judge us

Any help would be great.
Jonathan Robie

Re: Translation

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Welcome to B-Greek!

First off, a little housekeeping. To post here, you need a name that reflects your real name. If you send me your name, I will change your name for you, and you can continue to post. See the link below:

https://www.ibiblio.org/bgreek/forum/vi ... ?f=38&t=90
koine1 wrote: ὁ κυριος κρινει ἡμας ἐν τῳ ερχεσθαι αυτον παλιν

You're missing some accents here. I'm guessing it should be something like this:

ὁ κύριος κρινεῖ ἡμὰς ἐν τῷ ἔρχεσθαι αὐτὸν πάλιν.

Is this a text from a class? We try to avoid giving answers to homework assignments, but a few Socratic questions never hurt anything ...
  • What do you think ἐν τῳ ερχεσθαι αυτον means?
  • Do you know why it is αυτον, as opposed to, say, αυτος?
  • What do you think ἐν τῳ ερχεσθαι αυτον παλιν means?
If you can answer those questions, I think it will guide you toward your answer.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Wes Wood

Post by Wes Wood »

Jonathan Robie wrote:Welcome to B-Greek!

First off, a little housekeeping. To post here, you need a name that reflects your real name. If you send me your name, I will change your name for you, and you can continue to post. See the link below:

https://www.ibiblio.org/bgreek/forum/vi ... ?f=38&t=90
koine1 wrote: ὁ κυριος κρινει ἡμας ἐν τῳ ερχεσθαι αυτον παλιν

You're missing some accents here. I'm guessing it should be something like this:

ὁ κύριος κρινεῖ ἡμὰς ἐν τῷ ἔρχεσθαι αὐτὸν πάλιν.

Is this a text from a class? We try to avoid giving answers to homework assignments, but a few Socratic questions never hurt anything ...
  • What do you think ἐν τῳ ερχεσθαι αυτον means?
  • Do you know why it is αυτον, as opposed to, say, αυτος?
  • What do you think ἐν τῳ ερχεσθαι αυτον παλιν means?
If you can answer those questions, I think it will guide you toward your answer.
There are two more questions that I think would be helpful to you:
1) What is the main verb of the sentence, and how should the sentence be translated to make its role clear?
2) Why did Jonathan feel that accents were important to understanding the sentence? (Particularly the main verb) If your teacher isn't requiring you to pay attention to accents, I would recommend you do it on your own. In my experience they are a pain to learn after the fact.

Above all don't be discouraged; I still stumble over the occasional (or maybe more than occasional) infinitive myself. :)
Ἀσπάζομαι μὲν καὶ φιλῶ, πείσομαι δὲ μᾶλλον τῷ θεῷ ἢ ὑμῖν.-Ἀπολογία Σωκράτους 29δ
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

We should be clear that there are some instances in which the accent changes the meaning of the word. In the case, the tense is affected. κρίνει is the present tense, while κρινεῖ is the future. The context indicates that κρινεῖ is meant.

I'm curious to know in what setting our "koine1" is learning Greek. Is it a formal study with a teacher? Is it self-study? Online? In-person?
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Since this discussion is about a translation from a composition that has obviously been made from English, I have made a few comments about the word order of the Greek text in another thread in a composition subforum.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)

Return to “What does this text mean?”