John 1:29

How do I work out the meaning of a Greek text? How can I best understand the forms and vocabulary in this particular text?
Forum rules
This is a beginner's forum - see the Koine Greek forum for more advanced discussion of Greek texts. Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up.

When answering questions in this forum, keep it simple, and aim your responses to the level of the person asking the question.
Thomas Sandberg

John 1:29

Post by Thomas Sandberg »

Τῇ ἐπαύριον βλέπει ὁ Ἰωάννης τὸν Ἰησοῦν ἐρχόμενον πρὸς αὐτόν, καὶ λέγει· Ἴδε ὁ ἀμνὸς τοῦ Θεοῦ ὁ αἴρων τὴν ἁμαρτίαν τοῦ κόσμου. (PT 1904)

Regarding βλέπει (PAI-3S) and λέγει (PAI-3S). In the RSV and NKJV these are translated as the English past tense "saw" and "said;" whereas the KJV translates them (correctly?) as "seeth" (English: Simple PI-3S of "see") and "saith" (English: Simple PI-3S of "say"). I haven't found any grammar rule for Greek or English as to why. Any help?
Fr. Thomas Sandberg, B.Th.(Hons.)
Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Canada
thomassandberg.ca
<<μὴ μέταιρε ὅρια αἰώνια, ἃ ἔθεντο οἱ πατέρες σου.>>
-Παροιμίαι ΚΒʹ:28
Robert Emil Berge

Re: John 1:29

Post by Robert Emil Berge »

The use of the historical present is very common in Greek. It sometimes works in English as well, but is often better translated into the past tense.
Robert Emil Berge

Post by Robert Emil Berge »

Thomas Sandberg

Post by Thomas Sandberg »

Εὐχαριστῶ.
Fr. Thomas Sandberg, B.Th.(Hons.)
Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Canada
thomassandberg.ca
<<μὴ μέταιρε ὅρια αἰώνια, ἃ ἔθεντο οἱ πατέρες σου.>>
-Παροιμίαι ΚΒʹ:28