Romans 3:12 - Substantival Participle

How do I work out the meaning of a Greek text? How can I best understand the forms and vocabulary in this particular text?
Forum rules
This is a beginner's forum - see the Koine Greek forum for more advanced discussion of Greek texts. Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up.

When answering questions in this forum, keep it simple, and aim your responses to the level of the person asking the question.
rhutchin

Romans 3:12 - Substantival Participle

Post by rhutchin »

Romans 3:12
οὐκ ἐστιν ὁ ποιων χρηστοτητα οὐκ ἐστιν ἑως ἑνος.

This was explained to me in this manner, "As for the Psalmist, Paul, when he quotes him, uses a substantival participle… i.e. nobody always does good. One rotten egg soils the batch."

This was said to oppose the position that the verse should be taken to say that no one ever does good.

How are we to understand this part of the verse - particularly the use of the participle?

Roger Hutchinson
Roger Hutchinson
Eeli Kaikkonen

Re: Romans 3:12 - Substantival Participle

Post by Eeli Kaikkonen »

Sounds weird. In my opinion the key to interpreting the sentence, either in the Psalms or in Paul, is not found in the grammar.
Stephen Hughes

Re: Romans 3:12 - Substantival Participle

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Hi Robert,
This looks like a place where knowing Greek might go some way towards clarifying the rather vague word "good" that seems to carry over from bonus into English translations.

Aside from context-cotext or others exegesical techniques that one could bring to the passage, from a linguistic point of view, you might like to consider the synonymy of ποιῶ χρηστότητα, and ἀγαθοποιέω. Trench section 63 might be a start for that.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)

Return to “What does this text mean?”