Numbers 21:13

How do I work out the meaning of a Greek text? How can I best understand the forms and vocabulary in this particular text?
Forum rules
This is a beginner's forum - see the Koine Greek forum for more advanced discussion of Greek texts. Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up.

When answering questions in this forum, keep it simple, and aim your responses to the level of the person asking the question.
Jonathan Robie

Re: Numbers 21:13

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Hi Lee,

I think you're in over your head. You are going to have to learn the Greek language - including the syntax - before you are ready for this kind of speculation. You are welcome to participate in the Beginner's Forum, but according to the guidelines in my previous post.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

Jonathan Robie wrote: September 21st, 2017, 9:37 am
Lee Magee wrote: September 20th, 2017, 11:51 pm
Wes Wood wrote: September 20th, 2017, 11:32 pmYou will get more out of your work if you focus on learning Greek grammar as the key to understanding the Greek without appealing to outside sources. Best of luck to you as you continue your studies.
I am more towards lexicology rather then Grammar, i can translate words but i struggle forming sentences with them, the more i learn the better i will get.
Words are not a language. If you want to learn Greek, you need to learn grammar. And this is actually B-Greek policy:

- - - snip snip - - -

Follow the link to see what I mean. You simply have to be able to identify the subject and objects of a verb, antecedents, etc. to actually read a sentence. Without that, looking up words one at a time is an exercise in generating random meanings based on free association. Which is a common way to use interlinears.
To help you get a handle on the language, and the way Greek sentences work, you might try the (free) online Greek textbook at http://www.drshirley.org/greek/textbook02/index.html
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

Lee Magee wrote: September 21st, 2017, 3:53 am The wandering of Moses is envisioned around a desert temperate, but when i read the Septuagint , Moses is wandering around a snowy temperate

Numbers 21:31 ' the Lord set the Snow on fire '

Winter-torrents of Arnon

Αρνων
- ἀρνών - ἀρνός - ἔριον * Wool

Psalms 147:16
χιόνα ὡσεὶ ἔριον * Snow like wool

Winter streams of wool
"desert" and "snow" are not mutually exclusive. I live in New Mexico - "high desert" - hot and dry for most of the year, but with winters which go well below freezing, and some years with great blizzards. Israel has a similar though less extreme climate - I've seen snow in Jerusalem. When the snow melts or the rain falls is when the wadis run - and they can be flash floods.

Return to “What does this text mean?”