“τῆς ἑορτῆς” in John 13:1

How do I work out the meaning of a Greek text? How can I best understand the forms and vocabulary in this particular text?
Forum rules
This is a beginner's forum - see the Koine Greek forum for more advanced discussion of Greek texts. Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up.

When answering questions in this forum, keep it simple, and aim your responses to the level of the person asking the question.
EverLearning

“τῆς ἑορτῆς” in John 13:1

Post by EverLearning »

John 13:1 πρὸ δὲ τῆς ἑορτῆς τοῦ πάσχα εἰδὼς ὁ ἰησοῦς ὅτι ἦλθεν αὐτοῦ ἡ ὥρα ἵνα μεταβῇ ἐκ τοῦ κόσμου τούτου πρὸς τὸν πατέρα, ἀγαπήσας τοὺς ἰδίους τοὺς ἐν τῶ κόσμῳ, εἰς τέλος ἠγάπησεν αὐτούς.

I am just beginning learning Greek grammar. “τῆς ἑορτῆς” in this verse is in the genitive (possessive) case, correct? What is “the festival” possessing?

Thank you!
Jason Hare

Re: “τῆς ἑορτῆς” in John 13:1

Post by Jason Hare »

EverLearning wrote: September 25th, 2017, 2:28 am John 13:1 πρὸ δὲ τῆς ἑορτῆς τοῦ πάσχα εἰδὼς ὁ ἰησοῦς ὅτι ἦλθεν αὐτοῦ ἡ ὥρα ἵνα μεταβῇ ἐκ τοῦ κόσμου τούτου πρὸς τὸν πατέρα, ἀγαπήσας τοὺς ἰδίους τοὺς ἐν τῶ κόσμῳ, εἰς τέλος ἠγάπησεν αὐτούς.

I am just beginning learning Greek grammar. “τῆς ἑορτῆς” in this verse is in the genitive (possessive) case, correct? What is “the festival” possessing?

Thank you!
Hello, "EverLearning."

I'll address your question in the next post.

As you get started here on B-Greek, you need to be aware that we have rules that are a bit different than other forums. Please read over our policy regarding the use of real names on the forum.

We'll need to get your username changed to reflect your real name before your future posts will be released.

You may contact me or one of the other forum admins via PM to have give us your name, and we'll straighten it out for you.

Welcome to B-Greek and to the study of the Greek language!

Yours,
Jason
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

EverLearning wrote: September 25th, 2017, 2:28 am John 13:1 πρὸ δὲ τῆς ἑορτῆς τοῦ πάσχα εἰδὼς ὁ ἰησοῦς ὅτι ἦλθεν αὐτοῦ ἡ ὥρα ἵνα μεταβῇ ἐκ τοῦ κόσμου τούτου πρὸς τὸν πατέρα, ἀγαπήσας τοὺς ἰδίους τοὺς ἐν τῶ κόσμῳ, εἰς τέλος ἠγάπησεν αὐτούς.

Thank you!
Saying that the genitive is "the case of possession" is oversimplifying it. The genitive has many uses. In this specific case, it is used as the object of the preposition πρό. Therefore, πρὸ τῆς ἑορτῆς means "before the festival." The preposition πρό takes its object in the genitive case.

What text are you learning from?

Greetings!
Jason
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Jason Hare wrote: September 25th, 2017, 4:43 amYou may contact me or one of the other forum admins via PM to have give us your name, and we'll straighten it out for you.
Hi Jason,
As a newbie, they may not have PM privilages. Most probably, he can receive, but not send.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Stephen Hughes wrote: September 25th, 2017, 10:42 am Hi Jason,
As a newbie, they may not have PM privilages. Most probably, he can receive, but not send.
You're right. I'll contact him off-board.

Jason
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel

Return to “What does this text mean?”