1Thess 3:13

How do I work out the meaning of a Greek text? How can I best understand the forms and vocabulary in this particular text?
Forum rules
This is a beginner's forum - see the Koine Greek forum for more advanced discussion of Greek texts. Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up.

When answering questions in this forum, keep it simple, and aim your responses to the level of the person asking the question.
Scott Lawson

Re: 1Thess 3:13

Post by Scott Lawson »

On page 308 George rechristens the category Time Within Which to the limited. It is this category that I think fits my question about this particular use of παρουσία at 1Thess 3:13.

εἰς τὸ στηρίξαι ὑμῶν τὰς καρδίας ἀμέμπτους ἐν ἁγιωσύνῃ ἔμπροσθεν τοῦ θεοῦ καὶ πατρὸς ἡμῶν ἐν τῇ παρουσίᾳ τοῦ κυρίου ἡμῶν Ἰησοῦ μετὰ πάντων τῶν ἁγίων αὐτοῦ, [ἀμήν].  
(1 Th 3:13 GNT28-T)
https://accordance.bible/link/read/GNT28-T#1Th._3:13

If I’m understanding his analysis correctly then the infinitive verb στηρίξαι being aorist/perfective results in it being telic/bounded and indicates that the parousia in this instance is punctual rather than durative.

Is that correct?
Scott Lawson
Scott Lawson

Re: 1Thess 3:13

Post by Scott Lawson »

Oh! I Didn’t make clear how στηρίξαι influences the meaning by being bounded. If it was unbounded (present tense) it would indicate that God would be working continually through the parousia (if it is viewed as durative) to make their hearts firm. But as it is since it is bounded then it indicates a particular time at which God makes their hearts firm (so a punctual sense for parousia).
Scott Lawson

Return to “What does this text mean?”