John 2:22 Jesus said the word, or the word and the writing?

How do I work out the meaning of a Greek text? How can I best understand the forms and vocabulary in this particular text?
Forum rules
This is a beginner's forum - see the Koine Greek forum for more advanced discussion of Greek texts. Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up.

When answering questions in this forum, keep it simple, and aim your responses to the level of the person asking the question.
PhillipLebsack

John 2:22 Jesus said the word, or the word and the writing?

Post by PhillipLebsack »

John 2:22 ὅτε οὖν ἠγέρθη ἐκ νεκρῶν, ἐμνήσθησαν οἱ μαθηταὶ αὐτοῦ ὅτι τοῦτο ἔλεγεν, καὶ ἐπίστευσαν τῇ γραφῇ καὶ τῷ λόγῳ ⸀ὃν εἶπεν ὁ Ἰησοῦς.

My question is, does the scope of εἶπεν extend to both τῇ γραφῇ and τῷ λόγῳ or to just τῷ λόγῳ?

Should it be understood as: Jesus spoke/said/read the word and the writing?

Or, should it be understood as: Jesus spoke/said the word only?

At first glance you may think that it can't incorporate both the word and the writing because of how you would expect for the verb to be used...

However, see Matthew 22:31. "Have you not read that which God spoke to you saying..."

Greek: περὶ δὲ τῆς ἀναστάσεως τῶν νεκρῶν οὐκ ἀνέγνωτε τὸ ῥηθὲν ὑμῖν ὑπὸ τοῦ θεοῦ λέγοντος·

This is a clear example of Jesus making a point that has a deeper meaning (which isn't necessarily within the interest of the question. I'm just pointing out that verbs can be used in ways we wouldn't think should be allowed...)

To reiterate my question, can the grammar allow for εἶπεν to be talking about both the word and the writing? Or is it ONLY limited to the word?
Jason Hare

Re: John 2:22 Jesus said the word, or the word and the writing?

Post by Jason Hare »

"They believed in the Scripture and in the word/message which Jesus spoke."

These are two separate things. Γραφή refers to the Scripture (Law, Prophets and Psalms, as it is called in the NT).
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Jason Hare wrote: January 31st, 2018, 2:51 pm "They believed in the Scripture and in the word/message which Jesus spoke."

These are two separate things. Γραφή refers to the Scripture (Law, Prophets and Psalms, as it is called in the NT).
Yeah, like this:

καὶ
v ἐπίστευσαν
o
τῇ γραφῇ
καὶ
τῷ λόγῳ ὃν εἶπεν ὁ Ἰησοῦς
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
PhillipLebsack

Post by PhillipLebsack »

Thank you for your responses.

I'm wondering though is there any way to tell objectively where to draw the line for dependent clauses?
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

PhillipLebsack wrote: February 1st, 2018, 6:15 am I'm wondering though is there any way to tell objectively where to draw the line for dependent clauses?
The question you asked in the original post is one clue. Do people speak writings? Context and meaning are as important as syntax.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Jonathan Robie wrote: February 1st, 2018, 10:45 am
PhillipLebsack wrote: February 1st, 2018, 6:15 am I'm wondering though is there any way to tell objectively where to draw the line for dependent clauses?
The question you asked in the original post is one clue. Do people speak writings? Context and meaning are as important as syntax.
Well, generally, yes. A dependent clause normally has a word which indicates that it's a subordinate clause. As you learn the language you learn these words.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.

Return to “What does this text mean?”