Re: Hello from Brady Huneycutt

How do I work out the meaning of a Greek text? How can I best understand the forms and vocabulary in this particular text?
Forum rules
This is a beginner's forum - see the Koine Greek forum for more advanced discussion of Greek texts. Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up.

When answering questions in this forum, keep it simple, and aim your responses to the level of the person asking the question.
Huneycutt

Re: Hello from Brady Huneycutt

Post by Huneycutt »

Hello,
I'm a newbie on the board.

Working on 1 Corinthians 11:22. The USB begins with a particle defined as "not". Did the translators supply "What" in the NASB to flesh out the entire argument of that section?

Thanks in advance
Jonathan Robie

1 Corinthians 11:22 - what?

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Huneycutt wrote: August 23rd, 2018, 1:28 pm Hello,
I'm a newbie on the board.
Welcome, Brady!

One quick administrative note:
Moderator's Note: On B-Greek, user names must be sufficient to identify you. See http://www.ibiblio.org/bgreek/forum/vie ... ?f=38&t=90. Follow the instructions so we can change your username and you can continue to post. I will delete this note after you have done so. (In your case, I would simply add your first name to your username if that's OK.)
Now back to the subject ...
Huneycutt wrote: August 23rd, 2018, 1:28 pmWorking on 1 Corinthians 11:22. The USB begins with a particle defined as "not". Did the translators supply "What" in the NASB to flesh out the entire argument of that section?
On B-Greek, we ask people to cite the Greek - it takes a little time to learn how we do things here, so let me supply that:
1 Cor 11:22 wrote:μὴ γὰρ οἰκίας οὐκ ἔχετε εἰς τὸ ἐσθίειν καὶ πίνειν; ἢ τῆς ἐκκλησίας τοῦ θεοῦ καταφρονεῖτε, καὶ καταισχύνετε τοὺς μὴ ἔχοντας; τί εἴπω ὑμῖν; ἐπαινέσω ὑμᾶς; ἐν τούτῳ οὐκ ἐπαινῶ.
Here's the NASB:
NASB wrote:What! Do you not have houses in which to eat and drink? Or do you despise the church of God and shame those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I praise you? In this I will not praise you.
I think the "What!" is added to make it clearly very emphatic, conveying a sense of astonishment. Here's Meyer:
Meyer wrote:μὴ γὰρ οἰκίας κ.τ.λ[1840]] γάρ has inferential force; see on Matthew 27:23; John 9:30; Acts 19:35; and Winer, p. 416 [E. T. 559]; Kühner, a[1841] Xen. Mem. i. 3. 10 : you surely are not without houses? The sense of astonishment (Hartung, Partikell. I. p. 478) is conveyed by the question, not by the γάρ.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Return to “What does this text mean?”