Hebrews 6:18-19

How do I work out the meaning of a Greek text? How can I best understand the forms and vocabulary in this particular text?
Forum rules
This is a beginner's forum - see the Koine Greek forum for more advanced discussion of Greek texts. Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up.

When answering questions in this forum, keep it simple, and aim your responses to the level of the person asking the question.
Matthew Longhorn

Hebrews 6:18-19

Post by Matthew Longhorn »

Hi all, I am puzzled by the use of the participle εἰσερχομένην here. It looks like it is functioning adjectivally modifying the relative article above, however “which we have as a firm and secure anchor of our souls and entering into the inner part of the curtain” doesn’t seem to make much sense to me. Any thoughts?

ἵνα διὰ δύο πραγμάτων ἀμεταθέτων, ἐν οἷς ἀδύνατον ψεύσασθαι o[τὸν] θεόν, ἰσχυρὰν παράκλησιν ἔχωμεν οἱ καταφυγόντες κρατῆσαι τῆς προκειμένης ἐλπίδος· ἣν ὡς ἄγκυραν ⸀ἔχομεν τῆς ψυχῆς ἀσφαλῆ τε καὶ βεβαίαν καὶ εἰσερχομένην εἰς τὸ ἐσώτερον τοῦ καταπετάσματος,
Matthew Longhorn

Re: Hebrews 6:18-19

Of course i meant relative pronoun above, not relative article
Stirling Bartholomew

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

A somewhat difficult metaphor.
... ἀσφαλῆ τε καὶ βεβαίαν καὶ εἰσερχομένην εἰς ...

These words may refer, as far as the structure of the sentence is concerned, either to 'hope, the main subject, or to the 'anchor, with which it is compared.

Brooke Foss Westcott - 1920
Westcott then proceeds to talk about hope entering...
Last edited by Stirling Bartholomew on September 4th, 2018, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Matthew Longhorn

Thanks. So we are to see the hope or the anchor (which is a metaphor for the hope) being firm, steadfast and having the property of moving behind the curtain? In other words our hope is to move beyond the curtain and be in the presence of God?
Matthew Longhorn

Just seen your edited post. Thanks

Return to “What does this text mean?”