John 14:26 and Acts 7:51

How do I work out the meaning of a Greek text? How can I best understand the forms and vocabulary in this particular text?
Forum rules
This is a beginner's forum - see the Koine Greek forum for more advanced discussion of Greek texts. Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up.

When answering questions in this forum, keep it simple, and aim your responses to the level of the person asking the question.
ingenieur_hk

John 14:26 and Acts 7:51

Post by ingenieur_hk »

Hi! I am new in here, I am Chinese living in Hong Kong and has been learned English for some years. But I have no knowledge of Greek at all.

If someone please can explain the difference in the meaning of the below two:

The < τὸ πνεῦμα τὸ ἅγιον > in John 14:26
ὁ δὲ παράκλητος, τὸ πνεῦμα τὸ ἅγιον, ὃ πέμψει ὁ πατὴρ ἐν τῷ ὀνόματί μου, ἐκεῖνος ὑμᾶς διδάξει πάντα καὶ ὑπομνήσει ὑμᾶς πάντα ἃ εἶπον ὑμῖν

The < τῷ πνεύματι τῷ ἁγίῳ > in Acts 7:51
Σκληροτράχηλοι καὶ ἀπερίτμητοι καρδίαις καὶ τοῖς ὠσίν, ὑμεῖς ἀεὶ τῷ πνεύματι τῷ ἁγίῳ ἀντιπίπτετε ὡς οἱ πατέρες ὑμῶν καὶ ὑμεῖς.

In the Chinese or English translation, both of them are pretty much the same.

If they are really the same in the original Greek text?
What are their difference in meaning?

Thanks a lot!
Stirling Bartholomew

Re: John 14:26 and Acts 7:51

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

ingenieur_hk wrote: January 4th, 2019, 2:01 pm Hi! I am new in here, I am Chinese living in Hong Kong and has been learned English for some years. But I have no knowledge of Greek at all.

If someone please can explain the difference in the meaning of the below two:

The < τὸ πνεῦμα τὸ ἅγιον > in John 14:26
ὁ δὲ παράκλητος, τὸ πνεῦμα τὸ ἅγιον, ὃ πέμψει ὁ πατὴρ ἐν τῷ ὀνόματί μου, ἐκεῖνος ὑμᾶς διδάξει πάντα καὶ ὑπομνήσει ὑμᾶς πάντα ἃ εἶπον ὑμῖν

John 14:26 But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.

The < τῷ πνεύματι τῷ ἁγίῳ > in Acts 7:51
Σκληροτράχηλοι καὶ ἀπερίτμητοι καρδίαις καὶ τοῖς ὠσίν, ὑμεῖς ἀεὶ τῷ πνεύματι τῷ ἁγίῳ ἀντιπίπτετε ὡς οἱ πατέρες ὑμῶν καὶ ὑμεῖς.

Acts 7:51 “You stiff-necked people, uncircumcised in heart and ears, you always resist the Holy Spirit. As your fathers did, so do you.

In the Chinese or English translation, both of them are pretty much the same.

If they are really the same in the original Greek text?
What are their difference in meaning?

Since you have "no knowledge of Greek at all" you should do a search on "Greek inflection" and "Greek Case System" and make sure your reading about Ancient Greek.

τὸ πνεῦμα τὸ ἅγιον is inflected neuter nominative singular.

τῷ πνεύματι τῷ ἁγίῳ is inflected neuter dative singular.

The sense & reference, of τὸ πνεῦμα/τῷ πνεύματι are the same.

The difference is the case: nominative/dative, which you will need to study.
C. Stirling Bartholomew
ingenieur_hk

Re: John 14:26 and Acts 7:51

Post by ingenieur_hk »

Dear Stirling Bartholomew,

Thanks for your advice and help!

Thanks a lot!

Return to “What does this text mean?”