Acts 13:2 and the case of AUTOIS

How do I work out the meaning of a Greek text? How can I best understand the forms and vocabulary in this particular text?
Forum rules
This is a beginner's forum - see the Koine Greek forum for more advanced discussion of Greek texts. Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up.

When answering questions in this forum, keep it simple, and aim your responses to the level of the person asking the question.
klitwak

Acts 13:2 and the case of AUTOIS

Post by klitwak »

I am analyzing Acts 13:1-4 and in looking at Acts 13:2, I'm trying to understand the use of the dative AUTOIS. The relevant text reads AFORISATE DH MOI TON BARNABAN KAI SAULON EIS TO ERGON hO PROSEKLHMAI AUTOIS. I would understand an accusative but not a dative. I've looked at this in GGBB and BDF and found nothing useful for this specific item. BDAG does not say that PROSKALEW takes/requires a dative, but does give examples that use the accusative. The dative is used in many ways, such as direct object, means by which, locative, etc., but none of those seem to fit here. What is the reason most likely for the dative? Thanks.

Ken
Kenneth D. Litwak, Ph.D.
Reference and Instruction Librarian
Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary
Mill Valley, CA 94941
kennethlitwak@ggbts.edu
Adjunct Professor of New Testament in ExL
Asbury Theological Seminary
Wilmore, KY
Stephen Carlson

Re: Acts 13:2 and the case of AUTOIS

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Where are you getting your text from? Mine (NA27, UBS4) has αὐτούς.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Louis L Sorenson

Post by Louis L Sorenson »

Acts 13.2 λειτουργούντων δὲ αὐτῶν τῷ κυρίῳ καὶ νηστευόντων εἶπεν τὸ πνεῦμα τὸ ἅγιον· Ἀφορίσατε δή μοι τὸν Βαρναβᾶν ⸀καὶ Σαῦλον εἰς τὸ ἔργον ὃ προσκέκλημαι αὐτούς.

Holmes, M. W. (2010; 2010). The Greek New Testament: SBL Edition (Ac 13:2). Logos Bible Software.

Here is the entry from BDAG

προσκαλέω (Soph., X., Pla.+; ins, pap, LXX; TestSol, TestAbr, Test12Patr; JosAs 23:2; AssMos Fgm. a) in Gk. outside our lit. and in LXX predom. mid., in our lit. exclusively mid.; fut. 3 sg. προσκαλέσεται Ps. 49:4; 1 aor. προσεκαλεσάμην; pf. προσκέκλημαι. Pass.: 1 aor. 3 sg. προσεκλήθη LXX; ‘summon’.
① to call to or notify in order to secure someone’s presence
ⓐ of a call issued for presence with the speaker summon, call on, call to oneself, invite τινά someone (Gen 28:1; Esth 4:5; Sir 13:9; EpArist 182; Jos., Ant. 1, 271, Vi. 110; TestReub 4:9; AssMos p. 62 Denis [p. 272 Tromp]) Mt 10:1; 15:10; Mk 3:13, 23; 6:7; 7:14; 15:44; Lk 7:18; 15:26; Ac 6:2; 23:17f, 23; Js 5:14; Hv 1, 4, 2; Hs 5, 2, 2; 6; 9, 7, 1; 9, 10, 6.
ⓑ in transf. sense of God’s invitation to share in the benefits of salvation call (to) God or Christ, to faith, etc. Ac 2:39 (cp. Jo 3:5). πρ. διὰ τοῦ πνεύματος τοῦ ἁγίου call through the Holy Spirit (i.e. through inspired scripture) 1 Cl 22:1. Of Christ διʼ οὗ (i.e. τοῦ σταυροῦ) ἐν τῷ πάθει αὐτοῦ προσκαλεῖται ὑμᾶς by which (i.e. the cross) in his suffering (or death; s. πάθος 1, end) he summons you ITr 11:2.
② to call in a legal or official sense
ⓐ as a legal t.t. (so Aristoph., Lysias et al.; pap) call in, summon for inquiry Ac 5:40. Perh. Mt 18:32.
ⓑ call to a special task or office—issued by the Holy Spirit εἰς τὸ ἔργον ὸ̔ (=εἰς ὸ̔) προσκέκλημαι αὐτούς Ac 13:2. τινά foll. by the inf. εὐαγγελίσασθαι 16:10.—M-M. TW.

Arndt, W., Danker, F. W., & Bauer, W. (2000). A Greek-English lexicon of the New Testament and other early Christian literature (3rd ed.) (881). Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
David Lim

Post by David Lim »

Stephen Carlson wrote:Where are you getting your text from? Mine (NA27, UBS4) has αὐτούς.
The byzantine text also has "αφορισατε δη μοι τον βαρναβαν και τον σαυλον εις το εργον ο προσκεκλημαι αυτους".
δαυιδ λιμ
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

David Lim wrote:The byzantine text also has "αφορισατε δη μοι τον βαρναβαν και τον σαυλον εις το εργον ο προσκεκλημαι αυτους".
Looking at Swanson, it is clear that scores of the most important manuscripts of Acts all agree in having αὐτούς. So it looks like αὐτοῖς is a typo somewhere along the line.

Stephen
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia

Return to “What does this text mean?”