Romans 1:2a which he promised

How do I work out the meaning of a Greek text? How can I best understand the forms and vocabulary in this particular text?
Forum rules
This is a beginner's forum - see the Koine Greek forum for more advanced discussion of Greek texts. Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up.

When answering questions in this forum, keep it simple, and aim your responses to the level of the person asking the question.
JohnParker

Romans 1:2a which he promised

Post by JohnParker »

"which he promised beforehand through his prophets..."

προεπηγγείλατο promised is apparently in middle voice so would it be correct to translate this phrase as

"which he promised himself..." ?

Thank you
John
Jonathan Robie

Re: Romans 1:2a which he promised

Post by Jonathan Robie »

JohnParker wrote:"which he promised beforehand through his prophets..."

προεπηγγείλατο promised is apparently in middle voice so would it be correct to translate this phrase as

Welcome to B-Greek, John!

First off, a little housekeeping - in "what does this text mean", we ask you to quote the text, not just an individual word. In this case, the phrase is sufficient:
ὃ προεπηγγείλατο διὰ τῶν προφητῶν αὐτοῦ ἐν γραφαῖς ἁγίαις
The verb προ-επαγγελλω is used only in the middle and passive, and when used in the middle, it means simply "promise beforehand". If you remove the προ, you are left with επαγγελλω, which is also frequently used in the middle to mean "promise".
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

JohnParker wrote:προεπηγγείλατο promised is apparently in middle voice so would it be correct to translate this phrase as

No. You're right that προεπηγγείλατο is middle, but it is not helpful to think that that the prototypical sense is reflexive. It is not.

The usual way to express a reflexive action in Greek is to use a reflexive pronoun, such as ἑαυτόν. For example, Gal 1:3-4 Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ τοῦ δόντος ἑαυτὸν ὑπὲρ τῶν ἁμαρτιῶν ἡμῶν ("Jesus Christ who gave himself for our sins"). Some reflexive actions do take a middle verb, but only when the action is most frequently performed on oneself rather than on someone else, for example λούομαι "I wash (myself)" but λούω "I wash (someone else)."

What the middle voice really marks is that the subject is somehow affected by or involved in the action. In Greek, mental and emotional actions are considered to affect the subject and this can apply to speech acts as well. That is why a lot of (usually non-generic) speech act verbs are middle:
  • ἀνατίθεμαι, I propound
  • ἀπολογέομαι, I speak in defense
  • ἀποκρίνομαι, I answer
  • ἀποτάσσομαι, I say good-bye
  • ἀποφθέγγομαι, I utter clearly
  • ἀρνέομαι, I deny
  • ἀσπάζομαι, I greet
  • δέομαι, I implore
  • διαβεβαιόομαι, I insist
  • διακρίνομαι, I dispute
  • διαλέγομαι, I address (with a formal speech)
  • διαστέλλομαι, I order
  • εἰσκαλέομαι, I invite in
  • ἐμβριμάομαι, I scold, sternly insist
  • ἐντέλλομαι, I command
  • ἐξηγέομαι, I tell fully
  • ἐξομολογέομαι, I confess
  • ἐπαγγέλλομαι, I promise, assert
  • εὐαγγελίζομαι, I preach good news
  • μαντεύομαι, I tell fortunes
  • μαρτυρέομαι, I testify
  • μωμάομαι, I blame
  • καυχάομαι, I boast
  • παρρησιάζομαι, I speak boldly
  • προσανατίθεμαι, I confer with
  • προσεύχομαι, I pray
  • προσκαλέομαι, I summon
  • πυνθάνομαι, I inquire
  • ῥώννυμαι, I say farewell (usu. as ἔρρωσθε)
  • συνυποκρίνομαι, I pretend to agree with
  • φθέγγομαι, I utter
  • φιμοῦμαι, I say nothing
  • ψεύδομαι, “I lie” (cf. ψεύδω, “I falsify” [not necessarily speech])
These speech act verbs are all middle, but none of them are reflexive.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
cwconrad

Post by cwconrad »

This is a nice reply, Stephen. I haven't checked, but does this list reflect specifically Koine or GNT verbs? Have you compiled a listing of all middle verbs in the various categories of middle verbs as formulated by Kemmer and/or Allan?
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

cwconrad wrote:This is a nice reply, Stephen. I haven't checked, but does this list reflect specifically Koine or GNT verbs? Have you compiled a listing of all middle verbs in the various categories of middle verbs as formulated by Kemmer and/or Allan?
I went through Louw-Nida for the list (though I have treated separately all middle verbs in Galatians). There are about 9 or 10 different categories in Allan.

Stephen
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia

Return to “What does this text mean?”