Accents and article

How can I learn to express my ideas in clear and intelligible Greek?
Jason Hare

Re: Accents and article

Post by Jason Hare »

Andrew Chapman wrote: December 4th, 2017, 9:42 am Thank you, sir, much appreciated. One thing that awakened my interest was noticing that in the 2014 edition of John's Gospel he transliterated ἑώρακα in John 1.34 as ‘ophesthe’. I suggest a possible partial explanation here, based on the occurrence of ὄψεσθε in John 1.39.

Andrew
That's a grievous mistake indeed. How could someone dealing with the Greek text confuse ἑώρακα for ὄψεσθε? And beyond that, to confuse ψ for φ? Interesting!
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Andrew Chapman

Post by Andrew Chapman »

Jason Hare wrote: December 4th, 2017, 10:22 am That's a grievous mistake indeed. How could someone dealing with the Greek text confuse ἑώρακα for ὄψεσθε? And beyond that, to confuse ψ for φ? Interesting!
What do you think of him transliterating ἐξηγέομαι as 'hexegeomai'? And of it not being picked up by the 2015 edition, even by the 'respected scholars and editors' who are said to have evaluated every footnote?
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Andrew Chapman wrote: December 5th, 2017, 10:01 am
What do you think of him transliterating ἐξηγέομαι as 'hexegeomai'? And of it not being picked up by the 2015 edition, even by the 'respected scholars and editors' who are said to have evaluated every footnote?
Any one of the errors you have cited could be explainable by itself, but the cumulative effect is... distressing.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.

Return to “Writing Greek”