How to type ι under α, η, and ω on a mac.

Jacob Rhoden

How to type ι under α, η, and ω on a mac.

Post by Jacob Rhoden »

I'm trying to make flash cards using my mac (Im under OS/X 10.8) Ive worked out the basics, ie ὀ and ὁ. But as mentioned in "Learn New Testament Greek" there are some others, that I cant type. How to type the ι so that it goes under α, η, and ω on a mac.

I've tried googling for the info, but can't find much.
Jonathan Robie

Re: How to type ι under α, η, and ω on a mac.

Post by Jonathan Robie »

I'm on Linux, but it sounds like you want to do an iota subscript on the Mac, and these instructions should work in theory:
Type the quote mark for a smooth breather and the shift plus this key with yield a rough breather.
Type the colon for an acute accent (FYI the shift plus this key will yield a dieresis but this isn't used frequently.)
Type the right bracket ] for a grave (FYI the shift plus this key yields the same thing.)
Type the left bracket [ for a circumflex and the shift plus this key with yield a iota subscript .
Those four keys can be used in any combination to produce any combination of additional symbols on over your Greek characters. Remember to select your accents before your vowel.
Let me know if this works.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Jacob Rhoden

Re: How to type ι under α, η, and ω on a mac.

Post by Jacob Rhoden »

That works well, thanks!!

Return to “Other”