Found's Basic Greek in 30 Minutes a Day

Drusilla Sawyer

Found's Basic Greek in 30 Minutes a Day

Post by Drusilla Sawyer »

I'm currently going through "Basic Greek in 30 Minutes a Day" by James Found. I'm on lesson 12 and I am finding that there are typos. For example, in lesson 12, exercise 1 the word "pholla" is apparently incorrect, and should be spelled as "phylla" or "phulla." It's also the same with another word: "chousos" is supposed to be "chrusos" (or "chrysos"). I learned this by looking at the answers that are given in the back of the book. I'm assuming these are typos and I'm wondering why there has been such sloppy editing?

I'm also wondering if I can rely on this book any longer. I have only been able to find one review that has confirmed my suspicion of typos throughout the book but no given, specific examples of any typos. I'm just wondering if anyone else has this book and used it? If so does anyone have a list of typos in the future chapters so that I do not memorize the wrong spellings? Or am I just going to have to assume that I'll need to use my common sense to figure it out (as in this case)?
Shirley Rollinson

Re: Found's Basic Greek in 30 Minutes a Day

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

Drusilla Sawyer wrote:I'm currently going through "Basic Greek in 30 Minutes a Day" by James Found. I'm on lesson 12 and I am finding that there are typos. For example, in lesson 12, exercise 1 the word "pholla" is apparently incorrect, and should be spelled as "phylla" or "phulla." It's also the same with another word: "chousos" is supposed to be "chrusos" (or "chrysos"). I learned this by looking at the answers that are given in the back of the book. I'm assuming these are typos and I'm wondering why there has been such sloppy editing?

I'm also wondering if I can rely on this book any longer. I have only been able to find one review that has confirmed my suspicion of typos throughout the book but no given, specific examples of any typos. I'm just wondering if anyone else has this book and used it? If so does anyone have a list of typos in the future chapters so that I do not memorize the wrong spellings? Or am I just going to have to assume that I'll need to use my common sense to figure it out (as in this case)?
Dear Drusilla
I'm not familiar with Found's book - but I have taught Greek for a number of years, and have used several textbooks. There is no "perfect" textbook out there, in fact, there are some terrible ones - BUT - there are some good ones. If you (as a beginner) are becoming aware that there are typos and other problems with a text book - it's time to change books :-)
I've been a proof-reader (for a reputable German and English scientific publisher), so I know something of the trade - and it is a **trade**.
Sloppy writing, sloppy translating, sloppy editing, sloppy proof-reading - all are indicators of "publish fast, advertise, and rake in some money" (regardless of accuracy or lasting worth) I've seen it all.
Don't bother with lists of typos - you've already lost confidence in that book, so cut your losses and check out what else is available and fits your style of learning.
If you'de like to use a free online book while you're looking for a better printed book, you're welcome to try the Online Textbook
without accents at
http://www.drshirley.org/greek/textbook01/index.html
with accents (still in progress), at
http://www.drshirley.org/greek/textbook02/index.html
Shirley Rollinson

Return to “Other”