Basic Dictionary Skills

Stirling Bartholomew
Posts: 637
Joined: August 9th, 2012, 4:19 pm

Re: Basic dictionary skills

Post by Stirling Bartholomew » March 3rd, 2014, 5:09 pm

Stirling Bartholomew wrote:
20 years ago ...
More recently my nephew was doing his MDiv at Fuller Pasadena (main campus) and he had been using Accordance for years already when he enrolled. So he had a head start on languages from the perspective of mastering the computer tools. Accordance is a steep learning curve app. by comparison to the web bibles I am now working with (and working on) it is extremely complicated.
C. Stirling Bartholomew

Barry Hofstetter
Posts: 1021
Joined: May 6th, 2011, 1:48 pm

Re: Basic dictionary skills

Post by Barry Hofstetter » March 4th, 2014, 5:57 am

Stirling Bartholomew wrote:
We can rant and rave about bible software, but the seminaries have made it a requirement. You can't survive without it. It is used both in the classroom and for assignments.
I have no trouble with people using it as part of their classroom experience -- they are getting at least some instruction on the language and using it properly. I have plenty of Bible software myself. The problem is with people who think that the software is a substitute for real learning, the same people who a few years ago thought Strong's Concordance and an interlinear (ach! ptooey!) were the same as learning the language...
N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
ἐγὼ δὲ διδάσκω τε καὶ γράφω ἵνα τὰ ἀξιώτερα μανθάνω

Stephen Carlson
Posts: 2587
Joined: May 11th, 2011, 10:51 am
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

Re: Basic Dictionary Skills

Post by Stephen Carlson » March 4th, 2014, 6:57 am

When I taught Greek at Duke, I and my fellow colleagues strongly admonished the students not to use Bible software until they are done with the course. Don't know how many students actually went along with the advice.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia

Stephen Hughes
Posts: 3332
Joined: February 26th, 2013, 7:12 am

Steep learning curve

Post by Stephen Hughes » March 4th, 2014, 7:37 am

Stirling Bartholomew wrote:he had been using Accordance for years already when he enrolled. So he had a head start on languages from the perspective of mastering the computer tools. Accordance is a steep learning curve app. by comparison to the web bibles I am now working with (and working on) it is extremely complicated.
I get the learning curve stuff. I have tried to use Bible software a few times but found it too difficult.

As for texts, I used to type out Greek texts on a type-writer, and then - after computers became popular capable of handling Greek - into a computer from books. I scanned an edited (Theocritus) once too, but that took longer and was less accurate than typing. When the TLG came along, I could copy and paste sections of texts from Museius. Now that we have the internet, searching for texts is easier and cutting and pasting is easier too. I prefer copying and pasting to typing because there are less errors.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)

Barry Hofstetter
Posts: 1021
Joined: May 6th, 2011, 1:48 pm

Re: Steep learning curve

Post by Barry Hofstetter » March 4th, 2014, 8:57 am

Stephen Hughes wrote:
Stirling Bartholomew wrote:he had been using Accordance for years already when he enrolled. So he had a head start on languages from the perspective of mastering the computer tools. Accordance is a steep learning curve app. by comparison to the web bibles I am now working with (and working on) it is extremely complicated.
I get the learning curve stuff. I have tried to use Bible software a few times but found it too difficult.

As for texts, I used to type out Greek texts on a type-writer, and then - after computers became popular capable of handling Greek - into a computer from books. I scanned an edited (Theocritus) once too, but that took longer and was less accurate than typing. When the TLG came along, I could copy and paste sections of texts from Museius. Now that we have the internet, searching for texts is easier and cutting and pasting is easier too. I prefer copying and pasting to typing because there are less errors.
But what if there's an error in the the original? This could start a whole new round of text criticism for the 21st century! :shock: :lol:
N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
ἐγὼ δὲ διδάσκω τε καὶ γράφω ἵνα τὰ ἀξιώτερα μανθάνω

cwconrad
Posts: 2107
Joined: May 5th, 2011, 5:52 pm
Location: Burnsville, NC 28714
Contact:

Re: Steep learning curve

Post by cwconrad » March 4th, 2014, 9:11 am

Barry Hofstetter wrote:
Stephen Hughes wrote:
Stirling Bartholomew wrote:he had been using Accordance for years already when he enrolled. So he had a head start on languages from the perspective of mastering the computer tools. Accordance is a steep learning curve app. by comparison to the web bibles I am now working with (and working on) it is extremely complicated.
I get the learning curve stuff. I have tried to use Bible software a few times but found it too difficult.

As for texts, I used to type out Greek texts on a type-writer, and then - after computers became popular capable of handling Greek - into a computer from books. I scanned an edited (Theocritus) once too, but that took longer and was less accurate than typing. When the TLG came along, I could copy and paste sections of texts from Museius. Now that we have the internet, searching for texts is easier and cutting and pasting is easier too. I prefer copying and pasting to typing because there are less errors.
But what if there's an error in the the original? This could start a whole new round of text criticism for the 21st century! :shock: :lol:
Juvenal wrote:Quis custodiet ipsos/custodes?
Gee, it's a good thing that we always proofread our messages before we dispatch them!
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)

Stephen Hughes
Posts: 3332
Joined: February 26th, 2013, 7:12 am

Re: Steep learning curve

Post by Stephen Hughes » March 4th, 2014, 10:40 am

cwconrad wrote:
Barry Hofstetter wrote:
Stephen Hughes wrote: As for texts, I used to type out Greek texts on a type-writer, and then - after computers became popular capable of handling Greek - into a computer from books. I scanned an edited (Theocritus) once too, but that took longer and was less accurate than typing. When the TLG came along, I could copy and paste sections of texts from Museius. Now that we have the internet, searching for texts is easier and cutting and pasting is easier too. I prefer copying and pasting to typing because there are less errors.
But what if there's an error in the the original? This could start a whole new round of text criticism for the 21st century! :shock: :lol:
Juvenal wrote:Quis custodiet ipsos/custodes?
Gee, it's a good thing that we always proofread our messages before we dispatch them!
Not to worry. For those who don't proofread well and whose "original" may have "conceived", "concieved" and "conceeft" all within 8 verses, we can sweep that under the scholarly carpet with the concept of the "Ausgangs-text".
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)

David Lim
Posts: 901
Joined: June 6th, 2011, 6:55 am

Re: Steep learning curve

Post by David Lim » March 5th, 2014, 4:56 am

Barry Hofstetter wrote:But what if there's an error in the the original? This could start a whole new round of text criticism for the 21st century! :shock: :lol:
Have you seen the error in one of the most common electronic versions of the ASV at Rom 3:5 (http://www.crosswire.org/study/passages ... m%203:5#cv)? Although it's the internet, it's not so easy to find a corrected transcription! If people had discarded the printed copies after transferring them into electronic format, we would have the same problem all over again...
δαυιδ λιμ

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest