Quoting bible verse in biblical greek

pmander

Re: Quoting bible verse in biblical greek

Post by pmander »

Stephen Hughes wrote: I have given you a little help along the way, it's true to say, but please don't forget that it was George F. Somsel who first directed your attention to the uncial manuscripts that you yourself have been working from with tireless effort and creative determination.
That is true and it is good that you pointed that out. There are some good bits and pieces from all the people in this thread which has led me in the right direction, in my opinion. I appreciate this a lot. I'm glad my effort and determination was responded to in such a good way.

1 John: 2:10 He that loves his brother abides in the light, and there is no stumbling-block in him

I love this verse and I feel this verse is being very much alive in this forum (altough I'm sure, in the spirit of who I believe Jesus was and what that very verse is telling us, one can add "she","sister" and "her" as well as "he", "brother" and "him" ;)). Peace!
Peter Mänder
Wes Wood

Your text

Post by Wes Wood »

I don't have anything to add to your discussion, but there have been several occasions when I have admired your work. I like what you have done, and I think it would've been difficult for someone to point you to an exemplar that looks better.
-Just a friendly tip of the hat to all involved
Ἀσπάζομαι μὲν καὶ φιλῶ, πείσομαι δὲ μᾶλλον τῷ θεῷ ἢ ὑμῖν.-Ἀπολογία Σωκράτους 29δ
pmander

Re: Your text

Post by pmander »

Wes Wood wrote:I don't have anything to add to your discussion, but there have been several occasions when I have admired your work. I like what you have done, and I think it would've been difficult for someone to point you to an exemplar that looks better.
-Just a friendly tip of the hat to all involved
Your words, for me, are very encouraging. I really appreciate this comment. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Peter Mänder
pmander

Post by pmander »

I said before that I will upload the result. It gone done about a month ago.

Thank you again for all the help!
Peter Mänder
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

That's some impressive ink!
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Is this going to be a new requirement for the Beginner's Forum?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
cwconrad

Post by cwconrad »

Jonathan Robie wrote:Is this going to be a new requirement for the Beginner's Forum?
Jonathan, what have you got against beginners? Time was when you spoke of "little Greeks." If such a requirement goes through, we might have to speak of "non-beginners" and "lesser Greeks"!
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

cwconrad wrote:
Jonathan Robie wrote:Is this going to be a new requirement for the Beginner's Forum?
Jonathan, what have you got against beginners? Time was when you spoke of "little Greeks." If such a requirement goes through, we might have to speak of "non-beginners" and "lesser Greeks"!
Hey, I'm still a Little Greek. So maybe I'd have to get a tattoo too ...

Seriously ... Peter really did his research on this, I'm impressed.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

pmander wrote:I said before that I will upload the result. It gone done about a month ago.
Thank you again for all the help!
Vellum - one type of parchment (a material derived from animal skins and used for writing on in antiquity) - was made from dried and treated calf skin. I had always believed that that was the most valuable material made from skins that could be used for recording the precious words of the New Testament, but this, this what you have done is way cooler!

Congratulations on a splendid end result.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
pmander

Post by pmander »

Vellum - one type of parchment (a material derived from animal skins and used for writing on in antiquity) - was made from dried and treated calf skin. I had always believed that that was the most valuable material made from skins that could be used for recording the precious words of the New Testament, but this, this what you have done is way cooler!

Congratulations on a splendid end result.
Such a slow answer, I know. But thank you, really! It's good to every day be reminded of the weight of the words, and always to be ready to bear the cross on our backs for each other. In any form. Although it was painful to get inscipted, it's nothing against the pain that Christ suffered for you and me.

Also, I reallly think that this project was such a good way to get acquainted with the greek captital letters, and to understand the early greek writings complexity in that of reading, writing and translating without spaces. Too bad though that all my exams were in mostly small letters. ;) The grammatics, was definetly the hardest part for me to learn though. The swedish grammatics have felt like a walk in the park since I finished my greek for some reason...

Take care!
Peter Mänder

Return to “Other”