Isaiah Chapter 48

This is a B-Greek reading Group for the LXX Isaiah. This reading group is going through two chapters of the LXX Isaiah per week. Ken Penner, the B-Greek moderator for the "Septuagint and Pseudepigrapha Forum" is writing a commentary on the LXX Isaiah and is sharing his notes with those who wish to read the Isaiah LXX. Dive in, if you dare!
Ken M. Penner

Isaiah Chapter 48

Post by Ken M. Penner »

314. Listen, Israel (48:1-2)
48.1 Ἀκούσατε ταῦτα, οἶκος Ἰακώβ οἱ κεκλημένοι ἐπὶ τῷ ὀνόματι Ἰσραὴλ καὶ οἱ ἐξ Ἰουδα ἐξελθόντες οἱ ὀμνύοντες τῷ ὀνόματι Κυρίου θεοῦ Ἰσραὴλ μιμνῃσκόμενοι οὐ μετὰ ἀληθείας οὐδὲ μετὰ δικαιοσύνης 2 καὶ ἀντεχόμενοι τῷ ὀνόματι τῆς πόλεως τῆς ἁγίας καὶ ἐπὶ τῷ θεῷ τοῦ Ἰσραήλ ἀντιστηριζόμενος Κύριος Σαβαὼθ ὄνομα αὐτῷ.

315. I did what I foretold (48:3-5)
3 Τὰ πρότερα ἔτι ἀνήγγειλα, καὶ ἐκ τοῦ στόματός μου ἐξῆλθον καὶ ἀκουστὸν ἐγένετο· ἐξάπινα ἐποίησα, καὶ ἐπῆλθεν.
4 Γινώσκω ἐγὼ ὅτι σκληρὸς εἶ, καὶ νεῦρον σιδηροῦν ὁ τράχηλός σου, καὶ τὸ μέτωπόν σου χαλχοῦν. 5 καὶ ἀνήγγειλά σοι πάλαι, πρὶν ἐλθεῖν ἐπὶ σὲ ἀκουστόν σοι ἐποίησα· μὴ εἴπῃς ὅτι Τὰ εἴδωλά μοι ἐποίησαν, καὶ μὴ εἴπῃς ὅτι Τὰ γλυπτὰ καὶ τὰ χωνευτὰ ἐνετείλατό μοι.
316. You do not know the future (48:6-9)
6 ἠκούσατε πάντα, καὶ ὑμεῖς οὐκ ἐγνώκατε· ἀλλὰ καὶ ἀκουστά σοι ἐποίησα τὰ καινὰ ἀπὸ τοῦ νῦν, ἃ μέλλει γίνεσθαι, καὶ οὐκ εἶπας. 7 νῦν γίνεται καὶ οὐ πάλαι, καὶ οὐ προτέραις ἡμέραις ἤκουσας αὐτά· μὴ εἴπῃς Ναί, γινώσκω αὐτά. 8 οὔτε ἔγνοις οὔτε ἐπίστω, οὔτε ἀπʼ ἀρχῆς ἤνοιξά σου τὰ ὦτα· ἔγνων γὰρ ὅτι ἀθετῶν ἀθετήσεις καὶ ἄνομος ἔτι ἐκ κοιλίας κληθήσῃ. 9 ἕνεκεν τοῦ ἐμοῦ ὀνόματος δείξω σοι τὸν θυμόν μου καὶ τὰ ἔνδοξά μου ἐπάξω σοί, ἵνα μὴ ἐξολεθρεύσω σε.
317. I will rescue you for my own reputation (48:10-11)
10 ἰδοὺ πέπρακά σε οὐχ ἕνεκεν ἀργυρίου, ἐξειλάμην δέ σε ἐκ καμίνου πτωχείας· 11 ἕνεκεν ἐμοῦ ποιήσω σοι, ὅτι τὸ ἐμὸν ὄνομα βεβηλοῦται, καὶ τὴν δόξαν μου οὐ δώσω ἑτέρῳ.

318. The creator will call them (48:12-14)
12 Ἄκουέ μου, Ἰακώβ καὶ Ἰσραὴλ‌ ὃν ἐγὼ καλῶ· ἐγώ εἰμι πρῶτος, καὶ ἐγώ εἰμι εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα, 13 καὶ ἡ χείρ μου ἐθεμελίωσεν τὴν γῆν, καὶ ἡ δεξιά μου ἐστερέωσεν τὸν οὐρανόν· καλέσω αὐτούς, καὶ στήσονται ἅμα 14 καὶ συναχθήσονται πάντες καὶ ἀκούσονται. τίς ἀνήγγειλεν αὐτοῖς ταῦτα;
319. If you had obeyed, you would have prospered (48:14-19)
ἀγαπῶν σε ἐποίησα τὸ θέλημά σου ἐπὶ Βαβυλῶνα τοῦ ἆραι σπέρμα Χαλδαίων. 15 ἐγὼ ἐλάλησα, ἐγὼ ἐκάλεσα, ἤγαγον αὐτὸν καὶ εὐόδωκα τὴν ὁδὸν αὐτοῦ.

16 Προσαγάγετε πρός με καὶ ἀκούσατε ταῦτα· οὐκ ἀπʼ ἀρχῆς ἐν κρυφῇ ἐλάλησα οὐδὲ ἐν τόπῳ γῆς σκοτεινῷ· ἡνίκα ἐγένετο, ἐκεῖ ἤμην, καὶ νῦν Κύριος ἀπέσταλκέν με καὶ τὸ πνεῦμα αὐτοῦ.

17 Οὕτως λέγει Κύριος ὁ ῥυσάμενός σε ὁ ἅγιος Ἰσραήλ Ἐγώ εἰμι ὁ θεός σου, οὐ δέδειχά σοι τοῦ εὑρεῖν σε τὴν ὁδόν, ἐν ᾗ πορεύσῃ ἐν αὐτῇ. 18 καὶ ἤκουσας μου τῶν ἐντολῶν, ἐγένετο ἂν ὡσεὶ ποταμὸς ἡ εἰρήνη σου καὶ ἡ δικαιοσύνη σου ὡς κῦμα θαλάσσης· 19 καὶ ἐγένετο ἂν ὡς ἡ ἄμμος τῆς θαλάσσης τὸ σπέρμα σου καὶ τὰ ἔκγονα τῆς κοιλίας σου ὡς ὁ χοῦς τῆς γῆς· οὐδὲ νῦν οὐ μὴ ἐξωλεθρευθῇς, οὐδὲ μὴ ἀπολεῖται τὸ ὄνομά σου ἐναντίον μου.

320. Lord will provide water for his servant Jacob (48:20-22)
20 Ἔξελθε ἐκ Βαβυλῶνος φεύγων ἐκ γῆς Χαλδαίων· φωνὴν εὐφροσύνης ἀναγγείλατε, καὶ ἀκουστὸν γενέσθω τοῦτο, ἀπαγγείλατε ὡς ἐσχάτου τῆς γῆς, καὶ ἀκουστὸν γενέσθω τοῦτο λέγετε ὅτι Ἐρρύσατο Κύριος τὸν δοῦλον αὐτοῦ Ἰακώβ. 21 καὶ ἐὰν διψῶσιν, διʼ ἐρήμου ἄξει αὐτοῖς, ὕδωρ ἐκ πέτρας ἐξάξει αὐτοῖς· σχισθήσεται πέτρα, καὶ ῥυήσεται ὕδωρ, καὶ πίεται ὁ λαός μου. 22 οὐκ ἔστιν χαίρειν τοῖς ἀσεβέσιν, λέγει Κύριος.
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org
Ken M. Penner

Isaiah Chapter 48 translation

Post by Ken M. Penner »

314. Listen, Israel (48:1-2)
48. 1 Listen to these things, house of Jacob, who are called at the name of Israel and who have come out from Judah, who swear by the name of Lord God of Israel, remembering, not with truth or with righteousness, 2 and clinging to the name of the holy city and one who leans on the God of Israel, Lord Sabaoth is his name.

315. I did what I foretold (48:3-5)
3 I still declared the former things, and they went out from my mouth it became heard; I acted suddenly and it came upon them.

4 I know that you are hard and your neck is an iron sinew, and your forehead is brass. 5 And I proclaimed ancient things to you; I made them audible to you before they came upon. Do not say, They made idols for me, and do not say, The graven and molten things have commanded me.
316. You do not know the future (48:6-9)
6 You have heard all things, and you did not know; rather, I even made new things audible to you now, things that are about to happen, and you did not speak. 7 It is happening now, and not long ago, and you have not heard them in former days. Do not say, Yes, I know these things. 8 You have neither perceived nor known, nor have I opened your ears from the beginning, for I knew that rejecting, you would reject, and you were called lawless since the womb. 9 For the sake of my name I will show you my wrath and I will bring my esteemed things upon you, so that I might not totally destroy you.
317. I will rescue you for my own reputation (48:10-11)
10 Look, I have not sold you for money, but I have rescued you from a furnace of poverty. 11 I will act for you for my sake, because my name is being profaned, and I will not give my glory to another.

318. The creator will call them (48:12-14)
12 Listen to me, Jacob, and Israel whom I call: I am first and I am forever, 13 and my hand laid the foundation of the land, and my right hand firmed up the heaven. I will call them, and they will stand together, 14 and all people will be gathered and they will listen. Who has proclaimed these things to them?
319. If you had obeyed, you would have prospered (48:14-19)
I, loving you, have done out your will upon Babylon, to carry away the seed of the Chaldeans. 15 I spoke, I called; I led him and prospered his path.

16 Come to me and hear these things; I have not spoken in secret from the beginning or in a dark place of the land. When it happened, I was there, and now Lord has sent me and his spirit.

17 Thus says Lord who rescued you, the holy one of Israel: I am your God; I did not show you for you to find the way in which you might walk in it. 18 And you listened to my commandments; your peace would have been like a river, and your righteousness like a wave of the sea, 19 and your seed would have been like the sand and offspring of your womb like the dust of the land. And now you might not be utterly destroyed, and your name would not perish before me.

320. Lord will provide water for his servant Jacob (48:20-22)
20 Come out of Babylon; may you flee from the land of the Chaldaeans. Proclaim it with a voice of joy, and let this be heard; report it like the end of the land, and let this become audible, that say Lord has rescued his servant Jacob. 21 And if they thirst, he will bring water for them from through the desert, he will bring it out from a rock. A rock will split open and water will flow, and my people will drink. 22 There is no rejoicing for the ungodly, says Lord.
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org

Return to “Series on Isaiah”