Isaiah Chapter 55

This is a B-Greek reading Group for the LXX Isaiah. This reading group is going through two chapters of the LXX Isaiah per week. Ken Penner, the B-Greek moderator for the "Septuagint and Pseudepigrapha Forum" is writing a commentary on the LXX Isaiah and is sharing his notes with those who wish to read the Isaiah LXX. Dive in, if you dare!
Ken M. Penner

Isaiah Chapter 55

Post by Ken M. Penner »

365. Buy food and drink with no money (55:1-2)
55.1 οἱ διψῶντες, πορεύεσθε ἐφʼ ὕδωρ, καὶ ὅσοι μὴ ἔχετε ἀργύριον, βαδίσαντες ἀγοράσατε καὶ πίετε ἄνευ ἀργυρίου καὶ τιμῆς οἴνου καὶ στέαρ. 2 ἵνα τί τιμᾶσθε ἀργυρίῳ, καὶ τὸν μόχθον ὑμῶν οὐκ εἰς πλησμονήν;

366. Listen to me and you will have good things (55:2-3)
Ἀκούσασθέ μου καὶ φάγεσθε ἀγαθά, καὶ ἐντρυφήσει ἐν ἀγαθοῖς ἡ ψυχὴ ὑμῶν. 3 προσέχετε τοῖς ὠσὶν ὑμῶν καὶ ἐισακολουθήσατε ταῖς ὁδοῖς μου· ἐπακούσατέ μου, καὶ ζήσεται ἐν ἀγαθοῖς ἡ ψυχὴ ὑμῶν· καὶ διαθήσομαι ὑμῖν διαθήκην αἰώνιον, τὰ ὅσια Δαυὶδ τὰ πιστά.
367. Nations will call upon you (55:4-5)
4 ἰδοὺ μαρτύριον αὐτὸν ἐν ἔθνεσιν δέδωκα, ἄρχοντα καὶ προστάσσοντα ἔθνεσιν. 5 ἔθνη, ἃ οὐκ οἴδασίν σε, ἐπικαλέσονταί σε, καὶ λαοί, οἳ οὐκ ἐπίστανταί σε, ἐπὶ σὲ καταφεύξονται ἕνεκεν Κυρίου τοῦ θεοῦ σου τοῦ ἁγίου Ἰσραήλ.

Ὅτι ἐδόξασέν σε.
368. My ways are not like your ways (55:6-9)
6 ζητήσατε τὸν Κύριον καὶ ἐν τῷ εὑρίσκειν αὐτὸν ἐπικαλέσασθε· ἡνίκα δʼ ἂν ἐγγίζῃ ὑμῖν, 7 ἀπολιπέτω ὁ ἀσεβὴς τὰς ὁδοὺς αὐτοῦ καὶ ἀνὴρ ἄνομος τὰς βουλὰς αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐπιστραφήτω ἐπὶ Κύριον, καὶ ἐλεηθήσεται, ὅτι ἐπὶ πολὺ ἀφήσει τὰς ἁμαρτίας ὑμῶν. 8 οὐ γάρ εἰσιν αἱ βουλαί μου ὥσπερ αἱ βουλαὶ ὑμῶν οὐδὲ ὥσπερ αἱ ὁδοὶ ὑμῶν αἱ ὁδοί μου, λέγει Κύριος· 9 ἀλλʼ ὡς ἀπέχει ὁ οὐρανὸς ἀπὸ τῆς γῆς, οὕτως ἀπέχει ἡ ὁδός μου ἀπὸ τῶν ὁδῶν ὑμῶν καὶ τὰ διανοήματα ὑμῶν ἀπὸ τῆς διανοίας μου.
369. My word will accomplish my purpose (55:10-13)
10 ὡς γὰρ ἂν καταβῇ ὑετὸς ἢ χιὼν ἐκ τοῦ οὐρανοῦ.

Καὶ οὐκ ἀποστραφησεται, ἕως ἂν μεθύσῃ τὴν γῆν, καὶ ἐκτέκῃ καὶ ἐκβλαστήσῃ καὶ δῷ σπέρμα τῷ σπείροντι καὶ ἄρτον εἰς βρῶσιν, 11 οὕτως ἔσται τὸ ῥῆμά μου, ὃ ἐὰν ἐξέλθῃ ἐκ τοῦ στόματός μου, οὐ μὴ ἀποστραφῇ, ἕως ἂν συντελεσθῇ ὅσα ἠθέλησα καὶ εὐοδώσω τὰς ὁδούς καὶ τὰ ἐντάλματά μου. 12 ἐν γὰρ εὐφροσύνῃ ἐξελεύσεσθε καὶ ἐν χαρᾷ διδαχθήσεσθε· τὰ γὰρ ὄρη καὶ οἱ βουνοὶ ἐξαλοῦνται προσδεχόμενοι ὑμᾶς ἐν χαρᾷ, καὶ πάντα τὰ ξύλα τοῦ ἀγροῦ ἐπικροτήσει τοῖς κλάδοις, 13 καὶ ἀντὶ τῆς στοιβῆς ἀναβήσεται κυπάρισσος, ἀντὶ δὲ τῆς κονύζης ἀναβήσεται μυρσίνη· καὶ ἔσται Κύριος εἰς ὄνομα καὶ εἰς σημεῖον αἰώνιον καὶ οὐκ ἐκλείψει.
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org
Ken M. Penner

Isaiah Chapter 55 translation

Post by Ken M. Penner »

365. Buy food and drink with no money (55:1-2)
55.1 You who are thirsty, go to the water, and whoever has no money, go and buy and drink some wine and fat, without money and price. 2 Why do you value silver? Even your labour does not bring satisfaction.

366. Listen to me and you will have good things (55:2-3)
Listen to me and you will eat good things, and your soul will delight in good things. 3 Pay attention with your ears and follow in my ways; obey me, and your soul will live among good things, and I will make an eternal covenant with you, the faithful holy things of David.
367. Nations will call upon you (55:4-5)
4 Look, I have given him as a testimony among nations, a leader and commander of nations. 5 Nations that do not know you will call upon you, and peoples that do not know you, will flee to you on account of Lord your God, the holy one of Israel.

Because he has magnified you.
368. My ways are not like your ways (55:6-9)
6 Seek the Lord and call upon him when you find him. Whenever he approaches you, 7 let the ungodly person abandon his ways and the lawless man his counsels, and let him return to Lord, and he will be shown mercy, because he will greatly forgive your sins. 8 For my counsels are not like your counsels, nor my ways like your ways, says Lord. 9 But as the sky is distant from the land, so my way is distant from your ways, and your thoughts from my thinking.

369. My word will accomplish my purpose (55:10-13)
10 For it is as rain or snow comes down from the sky.

And it will not return until it makes the land drunk and it produces and sprouts and gives seed to the one who sows and bread for food, 11 so will be my word, which when it goes out from my mouth will certainly not return, until it has accomplished whatever I wanted. And I will prosper my ways and commandments.12 For you will go out with joy and you will be taught with delight, for the mountains and the hills will leap, and welcoming you with joy, and all the trees of the field will applaud with their branches. 13 And a cypress will come up instead of the thornbush; a myrtle will come up instead of the fleabane, and Lord will become a name and an eternal sign, and he will not cease.
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org

Return to “Series on Isaiah”