Isaiah Chapter 61

This is a B-Greek reading Group for the LXX Isaiah. This reading group is going through two chapters of the LXX Isaiah per week. Ken Penner, the B-Greek moderator for the "Septuagint and Pseudepigrapha Forum" is writing a commentary on the LXX Isaiah and is sharing his notes with those who wish to read the Isaiah LXX. Dive in, if you dare!
Ken M. Penner

Isaiah Chapter 61

Post by Ken M. Penner »

400. Lord anointed me with his spirit to proclaim good news (61:1-3)
61.1 Πνεῦμα Κυρίου ἐπʼ ἐμέ, οὗ εἵνεκεν ἔχρισέν με· εὐαγγελίσασθαι ταπεινοῖς ἀπέσταλκέν με, ἰάσασθαι τοὺς συντετριμμένους τῇ καρδίᾳ, κηρύξαι αἰχμαλώτοις ἄφεσιν καὶ τυφλοῖς ἀνάβλεψιν, 2 καλέσαι ἐνιαυτὸν Κυρίου δεκτὸν καὶ ἡμέραν ἀνταποδόσεων, παρακαλέσαι πάντας τοὺς πενθοῦντας, 3 δοθῆναι τοῖς πενθοῦσιν Σειὼν‌ αὐτοῖς δόξαν ἀντὶ σποδοῦ, ἄλειμμα εὐφροσύνης τοῖς πενθοῦσιν, καταστολὴν δόξης ἀντὶ πνεύματος ἀκηδίας·
401. They will restore what was abandoned (61:3-4)
καὶ κληθήσονται γενεαὶ δικαιοσύνης, φύτευμα δικαιοσύνης Κυρίου εἰς δόξαν. 4 καὶ οἰκοδομήσουσιν ἐρήμους αἰωνίας, ἐξηρημωμένας τὸ πρότερον ἐξαναστήσουσιν· καὶ καινιοῦσιν πόλεις αἰωνίους ἐξῃρημένας εἰς γενεάς.
402. Foreigners will serve you, priests of Lord (61:5-7)
5 καὶ ἥξουσιν ἀλλογενεῖς ποιμαίνοντές σου τὰ πρόβατα, καὶ ἀλλόφυλοι ἀροτῆρες καὶ ἀμπελουργοί· 6 ὑμεῖς δὲ ἱερεῖς Κυρίου κληθήσεσθε, λειτουργοὶ θεοῦ ὑμῶν· ἰσχὺν ἐθνῶν κατέδεσθε κἄν ἐν τῷ πλούτῳ αὐτῶν θαυμασθήσεσθε. 7 οὕτως ἐκ δευτέρας κληρονομήσουσιν τὴν γῆν, καὶ εὐφροσύνη αἰώνιος ὑπὲρ κεφαλῆς αὐτῶν.
403. You will be known among the nations (61:8-10)
8 ἐγὼ γάρ εἰμι Κύριος ὁ ἀγαπῶν δικαιοσύνην καὶ μισῶν ἁρπάγματα ἐξ ἀδικίας· καὶ δώσω τὸν μόχθον αὐτῶν δικαίοις διαθήκην αἰώνιον διαθήσομαι αὐτοῖς. 9 καὶ γνωσθήσεσθε ἐν τοῖς ἔθνεσιν τὸ σπέρμα αὐτῶν καὶ τὰ ἔκγονα αὐτῶν ἔμμεσῳ τῶν λαῶν· πᾶς ὁ ὁρῶν αὐτοὺς ἐπιγνώσεται αὐτούς, ὅτι οὗτοί εἰσιν σπέρμα εὐλογημένον ὑπὸ θεοῦ 10 καὶ εὐφροσύνην εὐφρανθήσονται ἐπὶ Κύριον.

404. Lord has clothed me with salvation (61:10-11)
Ἀγαλλιάσθω ἡ ψυχή μου ἐπὶ τῷ Κυρίῳ· ἐνέδυσεν γάρ με ἱμάτιον σωτηρίου καὶ κιτῶνα εὐφροσύνης ὡς νυμφίῳ περιέθηκέν μοι μίτραν καὶ ὡς νύμφην κατεκόσμησέν με κόσμῳ. 11 καὶ ὡς γῆν αὔξουσαν ἄνθος αὐτῆς καὶ ὡς κῆπος τὰ σπέρματα αὐτοῦ, οὕτως ἀνατελεῖ Κύριος δικαιοσύνην καὶ ἀγαλλίαμα ἐναντίον πάντων τῶν ἐθνῶν.
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org
Ken M. Penner

Isaiah Chapter 61 translation

Post by Ken M. Penner »

400. Lord anointed me with his spirit to proclaim good news (61:1-3)
61.1 A spirit of Lord is upon me, on account of which he anointed me; he has sent me to bring good news to humble people, to heal those crushed in heart, to proclaim forgiveness to captive people and restoration of sight to blind people, 2 to call an acceptable year of Lord and day of repayments, to comfort all those who mourn, 3 to give to those who mourn in Zion glory to them instead of ashes, an oil of joy for those who mourn, a clothing of glory instead of a spirit of weariness.
401. They will restore what was abandoned (61:3-4)
And they will be called generations of righteousness, a planting of righteousness of Lord for glory. 4 And they will build desolate places into eternal places; they will raise up those that were formerly abandoned, and they will renew eternal cities, rescued for generations.
402. Foreigners will serve you, priests of Lord (61:5-7)
5 Strangers will come tending your sheep, and foreigners will be husbandmen and vineyard workers. 6 But you will be called priests of Lord, servants of your God, you will devour the strength of nations and you will be amazed by their wealth. 7 Thus they will inherit the land a second time, and eternal joy will be upon their head.
403. You will be known among the nations (61:8-10)
8 For I am Lord who loves righteousness and hates the spoils of injustice and I will give their hardship to righteous people; I will make an eternal covenant with them. 9 And you will be known among the nations; their seed and their offspring are among the peoples; everyone who sees them will recognize them, because these are the seed blessed by God, 10 and they will rejoice over Lord with joy.

404. Lord has clothed me with salvation (61:10-11)
Let my soul rejoice over the Lord, for he has clothed me with a garment of salvation and a tunic of joy; he has put a diadem on me as on a bridegroom, and he has ornamented me with ornamentation like a bride. 11 And like the land growing its flower and like a garden its seeds, so Lord will raise righteousness and joy before all the nations.
Ken M. Penner
Ken M. Penner

Textual notes on Isaiah 61:10-11

Post by Ken M. Penner »

εὐφροσύνην] B (Rahlfs, Ziegler) has εὐφροσύνῃ; A has ἐν εὐφροσύνῃ
κιτῶνα] changed by ca to χιτῶνα, with A, B (Rahlfs, Ziegler)
ὡς νυμφίῳ περιέθηκέν μοι] with A (Rahlfs, Ziegler); B has περιέθηκέν μοι ὡς νυμφίῳ
ἄνθος] changed by cb2 to τὸ ἄνθος, with A, B (Rahlfs, Ziegler)
κῆπος] with B (Rahlfs); A (Ziegler) has κῆπον. Note the difference between Rahlfs and Ziegler.
Ken M. Penner

Return to “Series on Isaiah”