Isaiah Chapter 62

This is a B-Greek reading Group for the LXX Isaiah. This reading group is going through two chapters of the LXX Isaiah per week. Ken Penner, the B-Greek moderator for the "Septuagint and Pseudepigrapha Forum" is writing a commentary on the LXX Isaiah and is sharing his notes with those who wish to read the Isaiah LXX. Dive in, if you dare!
Ken M. Penner

Isaiah Chapter 62

Post by Ken M. Penner »

405. My righteousness will shine to the nations (62:1-2)
62.1 διὰ Σιὼν οὐ σιωπήσωμαι καὶ διὰ Ἰερουσαλὴμ οὐκ ἀνήσω, ἕως ἂν ἐξέλθῃ ὡς φῶς ἡ δικαιοσύνη μου, τὸ δὲ σωτήριόν μου ὡς λαμπὰς καυθήσεται. 2 καὶ ὄψονται ἔθνη τὴν δικαιοσύνην σου καὶ βασιλεῖς τὴν δόξαν σου,
406. Lord will give you a new name (62:2)
καὶ καλέσει σε τὸ ὄνομά σου τὸ καινόν, ὃ ὁ Κύριος ὀνομάσει αὐτό.
407. Lord will adorn and rejoice over you (62:3-7)
3 καὶ ἔσῃ στέφανος κάλλους ἐν χειρὶ Κυρίου καὶ διάδημα βασιλείας ἐν χειρὶ θεοῦ σου. 4 καὶ οὐκέτι κληρονομηθήσῃ καταλελειμμένη, καὶ ἡ γῆ σου οὐ κληθήσεται Ἔρημος· σοὶ γὰρ κληθήσεται Θέλημα ἐμόν, καὶ τῇ γῇ σου Οἰκουμένη. 5 καὶ ὡς συνοικῶν νεανίσκος παρθένῳ, οὕτως κατοικήσουσιν οἱ υἱοί σου μετὰ σοῦ· καὶ ἔσται ὃν τρόπον εὐφρανθήσεται νυμφίος ἐπὶ νύμφῃ, οὕτως εὐφρανθήσεται Κύριος ἐπὶ σοί. 6 καὶ ἐπὶ τῶν τειχέων σου, Ἰερουσαλήμ, κατέστησα φύλακας ὅλην τὴν ἡμέραν καὶ ὅλην τὴν νύκτα, οἳ διὰ τέλους οὐ σιωπήσονται μιμνῃσκόμενοι Κυρίου. 7 οὐ γὰρ ἔστιν ὑμῖν ὁ οἶκος, ἐὰν διορθώσῃ καὶ ποιήσῃ Ἰερουσαλὴμ ἀγαυρίαμα ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς.
408. Lord will no longer give your produce to your enemies (62:8-9)
8 ὤμοσεν Κύριος κατὰ τῆς δόξης αὐτοῦ καὶ κατὰ τῆς δόξης τοῦ βραχίονος αὐτοῦ Εἰ ἔτι δώσω τὸν σῖτόν σου τοῖς ἐχθροῖς σου, καὶ εἰ ἔτι πίονται υἱοὶ ἀλλότριοι τὸν οἶνόν σου, ἐφʼ ᾧ ἐμόχθησας· 9 ἀλλʼ οἱ συνάγοντες φάγονται αὐτὰ καὶ πίονται ἐν ταῖς ἐπαύλεσιν ταῖς ἁγίαις μου.

409. Lord ransoms Zion (62:10-12)
10 Πορεύεσθε διὰ τῶν πυλῶν μου καὶ ὁδοποιήσατε τῷ λαῷ μου καὶ τοὺς λίθους τοὺς ἐκ τῆς ὁδοῦ διαρρίψατε· ἐξάρατε σύσσημον εἰς τὰ ἔθνη. 11 ἰδοὺ γὰρ Κύριος ἀκουστὸν ἐποίησεν ἕως ἐσχάτου τῆς γῆς

Εἴπατε τῇ θυγατρὶ Σιών Ἰδού σοι ὁ σωτὴρ παραγίνεται ἔχων τὸν ἑαυτοῦ μισθὸν καὶ τὸ ἔργον αὐτοῦ πρὸ προσώπου αὐτοῦ. 12 καὶ καλέσει αὐτὸν Λαὸν Ἅγιον, λελυτρωμένον ἀπὸ Κυρίου, συνεκληθήθῃ Ἐπιζητουμένη Πόλις καὶ οὐ καταλελειμμένη.
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org
Ken M. Penner

Isaiah Chapter 62 translation

Post by Ken M. Penner »

405. My righteousness will shine to the nations (62:1-2)
62.1 May I not be silent because of Zion and may I not lift up my voice because of Jerusalem, until my righteousness goes forth like a light, and my salvation will burn like a torch. 2 And nations will see your righteousness, and kings your glory.
406. Lord will give you a new name (62:2)
And he will call you your new name, which the Lord will name it.
407. Lord will adorn and rejoice over you (62:3-7)
3 And you will be a crown of beauty in the hand of Lord and a diadem of a kingdom in the hand of your God. 4 And you will no longer be inherited, abandoned one, and your land will not be called desolate, for it will be called for you My Will, and for your land, Inhabited. 5 And as a young man lives with a virgin, so will your sons live with you, and it will be in the same way as a bridegroom will rejoice over a bride, so Lord will rejoice over you. 6 And upon your walls, Jerusalem, I have appointed guards the whole day and the whole night, who will not be silent through the ends, as they remember Lord. 7 For the house is not for you, if he makes straight and makes Jerusalem boastfulness upon the land.
408. Lord will no longer give your produce to your enemies (62:8-9)
8 The Lord swore by his glory and by the glory of his arm: I will no longer give your grain to your enemies, and foreign sons will no longer drink your wine over which you laboured. 9 Rather, those who gather them will eat them and will drink in my holy residences.

409. Lord ransoms Zion (62:10-12)
10 Walk through my gates and make a way for my people, and throw the stones out of the way; raise a signal for the nations. 11 For look, the Lord has made it heard to the end of the land.
Say to the daughter of Zion, Look, the saviour has come near to you, holding his own reward and his work before his face. 12 And he will call him a holy people ransomed from the Lord, and it will be called with a desirable city and not forsaken.
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org

Return to “Series on Isaiah”