Isaiah Chapter 10

This is a B-Greek reading Group for the LXX Isaiah. This reading group is going through two chapters of the LXX Isaiah per week. Ken Penner, the B-Greek moderator for the "Septuagint and Pseudepigrapha Forum" is writing a commentary on the LXX Isaiah and is sharing his notes with those who wish to read the Isaiah LXX. Dive in, if you dare!
Ken M. Penner

Notes on Isaiah 10:27-32

Post by Ken M. Penner »

64. The yoke will be destroyed (10:27-32)
27 Καὶ ἔσται ἐν τῇ ἡμέρᾳ ἐκείνῃ ἀφαιρεθήσεται ὁ φόβος αὐτοῦ ἀπὸ σοῦ καὶ ὁ ζυγὸς αὐτοῦ ἀπὸ τοῦ ὤμου σου, καὶ καταφθαρήσεται ὁ ζυγὸς αὐτῶν ἀπὸ τῶν ὤμων ὑμῶν. 28 ἥξει γὰρ εἰς τὴν πόλιν Ἀγγαί, · 29 καὶ παρελεύσεται εἰς Μακεδὼ καὶ ἐν Μαχμὰ θήσει τὰ σκεύη αὐτῶν καὶ παρελεύσεται φάραγγα καὶ ἥξει εἰς Ἀγγαί, φόβος λήμψεται Ῥαμὰ πόλιν Σαούλ· φεύξεται 30 ἡ θυγάτηρ Ταλείμ, ἐπακούσεται ἐν Ἀναθώθ,· 31 ἐξέστη Μαδεβηνὰ καὶ οἱ κατοικοῦντες Γιββίρ· 32 παρακαλεῖτε σήμερον ἐν ὁδῷ τοῦ μεῖναι, τῇ χειρὶ παρακαλεῖτε, τὸ ὄρος, τὴν θυγατέρα Σιών, καὶ οἱ βουνοὶ οἱ ἐν Ἰερουσαλήμ.
Verse Divisions
The division between 10:28 and 29 differs between Rahlfs and Swete/Ziegler. Rahlfs begins verse 29 after καὶ παρελεύσεται εἰς Μακεδὼ καὶ ἐν Μαχμὰ θήσει τὰ σκεύη αὐτῶν•, and Swete/Ziegler begin the verse before these words. In S there is a raised dot before these words but not after, so my text division agrees with Swete and Ziegler here, against Rahlfs.
The division between 10:31 and 32 also differs between Rahlfs and Swete/Ziegler. Rahlfs begins verse 32 after παρακαλεῖτε, and Swete/Ziegler begin the verse before it. In G this word belongs with the words following, so my text division agrees with Swete and Ziegler here, against Rahlfs.

ἀφαιρεθήσεται] Here ἀφαιρέω stands for the Hebrew סר, which is the standard word G translates as ἀφαιρέω,as already in 1:16, 25; 3:1, 18; 5:5; 6:7; 7:17; 10:13. But G also uses it for כאת כפר אסף אפס הדף חלף מחה נטה ספה עבר עטה ערב פתח צלח שבת שלח, making it apparently a favourite of his.
ὁ φόβος αὐτοῦ ἀπὸ σοῦ καὶ ὁ ζυγὸς αὐτοῦ ἀπὸ τοῦ ὤμου σου] with A (Ottley, Rahlfs, Ziegler); B transposes the two phrases. The yoke and shoulder imagery recalls 9:3, significant in the light of the recent recollection of Μαδιὰμ in 10:26.
καταφθαρήσεται] from καταφθείρω
αὐτῶν] lacking in A, B (Rahlfs, Ziegler). Possibly G read the preposition מ “from” in על מ‍פני as a pronominal suffix “their” on על “yoke”. The plural would refer to the people of Madiam. Note also the corresponding shift to the plural ὤμων and ὑμῶν.
Μακεδὼ] corrected by ca to Μαγεδω, with B (Rahlfs, Ziegler); A has Μαγεδδω.
αὐτῶν] changed by ca to αὐτοῦ, with A, B (Rahlfs, Ziegler)
Ταλείμ] changed by ca to Γαλείμ, with B; A, B also add ἐπακούσεται ἐν Σά; Rahlfs, Ziegler have Γαλλιμ, ἐπακούσεται Λαισα; Ziegler cites V-Qmg-88-oII L′’`-46 C’ 403′ 770 Tht. Hi. in support of Λαισα.
ἐπακούσεται] The future of ἐπακούω uses the middle form; the subject remains ἡ θυγάτηρ.
ἐξέστη] with A (Rahlfs, Ziegler); B has καὶ ἐξέστη
Γιββίρ] with; Rahlfs and Ziegler; Ottley and Swete spell it Γιββειρ.
τοῦ μεῖναι] a literal translation of לעמד, here acting as the complement of παρακαλεῖτε.
τὸ ὄρος] vocative or accusative. If vocative, it belongs with οἱ βουνοί; if accusative, in apposition to τὴν θυγατέρα. An initial reading would not suggest the singular ὄρος as a vocative because the verb παρακαλεῖτε is plural. But by the end of the verse, the ὄρος makes sense as vocative when understood with βουνοί.
Ottley has “Encourage her to day in the way to stay, encourage with the hand the hill, the daughter of Zion, and ye hills that are in Jerusalem.” Silva has “Encourage Sion today to remain in the way; O mount, as well as you hills that are in Ierousalem, with your hand encourage daughter Sion.”
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org
Ken M. Penner

Notes on Isaiah 10:33-34

Post by Ken M. Penner »

65. Lord Sabaoth humbles the arrogant (10:33-34)
33 Ἰδοὺ δὴ ὁ δεσπότης Κύριος Σαβαὼθ συνταράξει τοὺς ἐνδόξους μετὰ ἰσχύος, καὶ οἱ ὑψηλοὶ τῇ ὕβρει συντριβήσονται καὶ ταπεινωθήσονται, 34 καὶ πεσοῦνται οἱ ὑψηλοὶ μαχαίρᾳ, ὁ δὲ Λίβανος σὺν τοῖς ὑψηλοῖς πεσεῖται.
δὴ] lacking in B; A (Rahlfs, Ziegler) has γὰρ. Compare 3:1, which also has Ἰδοὺ δὴ ὁ δεσπότης Κύριος Σαβαὼθ.
ὁ δεσπότης Κύριος Σαβαὼθ] All three instances of δεσπότης in G appear in the phrase ὁ δεσπότης Κύριος Σαβαὼθ, as translations of האדון יהוה צבאות.
συνταράξει] future; A, B (Rahlfs, Ziegler) have the present συνταράσσει.
ταπεινωθήσονται] B (Rahlfs, Ziegler) have οἱ ὑψηλοὶ ταπεινωθήσονται; A has ταπεινωθήσονται οἱ ὑψηλοὶ.
Ken M. Penner
Ken M. Penner

Isaiah Chapter 10 translation

Post by Ken M. Penner »

55. Wicked judges will flee their punishment (10:1-4)
10.1 Woe to those who write wickedness, for when they write, they write wickedness, 2 turning aside fair judgment for beggars and snatching away fair verdicts from labourers of my people so that they are a widow for prey and an orphan for plunder. 3 And what will they do on the day of the punishment? For your affliction will come from afar. And to whom will you flee? And to whom will you flee to be helped? And where will you abandon your riches 4 in order to not fall into invasion? At all these things the wrath is not turned back but still the hand is high.

56. Woe to the Assyrians (10:5-7)
5 Woe to the Assyrians! The rod of my anger and wrath is in their hands.

6 I will turn my wrath towards a lawless nation and I will order my people to make spoils and plunder and to trample the cities and to make them into a cloud of dust. 7 But it did not plan this and it has not considered this in its soul, rather its mind will change, to destroy not a few nations.

57. He will take all regions (10:8-10)
8 And if they say to him, You alone are ruler, 9 he will also say, Did I not take the region above Babylon, and Chalanne, where the tower was built? And I took Arabia and Damascus and Samareia. 10 In the way that I took these in my hand, also I will take all the regions.

58. Jerusalem’s images will be like Samaria’s (10:10-11)
Cry aloud, carved images in Jerusalem and in Samareia! 11 For in the way that I did to Samareia and her hand-made things, so I will do even in Jerusalem also to her images.

59. The leader of the Assyrians (10:12-14)
12 And it shall be when Lord finishes doing all things in the mountain of Sion and Jerusalem, Lord will bring the leader of the Assyrians against the great mind, and upon the exaltation of the glory of their eyes.

13 For he said, By strength I will act and by the wisdom of intelligence I will remove boundaries of nations and I will plunder their strength and I will shake inhabited cities. 14 And I will take the whole inhabited world in hand like a nest, and like abandoned eggs I will take them and there is not one who will escape me or might speak against me.

60. The tool depends on its master (10:15-16)
15 Will an axe be glorified without the one who cuts with it? Or will a saw be exalted without the one who pulls it? Similarly, if anyone lifts a rod or timber. And not so!

16 Rather, may Lord Sabaoth send dishonour on your honour and burning fire will burn on your glory.

61. Israel’s fire will consume (10:17-19)
17 And the light of Israel will become a fire, and it will sanctify him with a burning fire, and like hay it will consume the wood. 18 On that day, the mountains will be extinguished, also the hills and the forests, and it will devour from soul to flesh, and the one who flees will be like the one who flees from a burning flame. 19 And those left from them will be a number and a young child will record them.

62. The remnant of Israel will trust God (10:20-23)
20 And it will be on that day, no longer will the remnant of Israel be increased, and those saved of Iakob will no longer trust in those who wronged them.

Rather, they will trust upon the holy god of Israel in truth, 21 and the remnant of Iakob will be on a powerful god. 22 And if the people of Israel become as the sand of the sea, the remnant of them will be saved, for it is completing an account and curtailing in righteousness, 23 because God will make a curtailed account with the whole inhabited land.

63. Do not fear the Assyrians (10:24-26)
24 Therefore, thus says Lord, God Sabaoth, My people, those dwelling in Sion, do not be afraid of Assyrians, because he will strike you with a rod, for only I bring upon you to see a way of Egypt. 25 For a little longer and the wrath will cease, but my anger will be upon their plot. 26 And God will awaken them according to the blow, Madiam in a place of oppression, and his anger will be by the way of the sea towards the way of Egypt.

64. His yoke will be destroyed (10:27-32)
27 And it will be in that day, the fear of him will be taken away from you, and his yoke from your shoulder and their yoke will be destroyed from your shoulders. 28 For he will come into the city of Aggai 29 and he will go on to Makedo, and in Machma he will set down their things. And he will pass a ravine and he will come into Aggai; fear will take Rama, city of Saoul; 30 the daughter of Taleim will flee; she will listen in Anathoth. 31 Madebena is amazed. And comfort those dwelling in Gibbir, 32 today, encourage the daughter of Sion to stay on the path; encourage her with your hand, O mountain, and you hills in Jerusalem.

65. Lord Sabaoth humbles the arrogant (10:33-34)
33 Look, now, the master, Lord Sabaoth, will confound those held in esteem with strength, and those haughty with arrogance will be crushed and humbled. 34 And the haughty will fall by the sword, and Libanos will fall with the haughty.
Ken M. Penner

Return to “Series on Isaiah”