Isaiah Chapter 12

This is a B-Greek reading Group for the LXX Isaiah. This reading group is going through two chapters of the LXX Isaiah per week. Ken Penner, the B-Greek moderator for the "Septuagint and Pseudepigrapha Forum" is writing a commentary on the LXX Isaiah and is sharing his notes with those who wish to read the Isaiah LXX. Dive in, if you dare!
Ken M. Penner

Isaiah Chapter 12

Post by Ken M. Penner »

12.1 Καὶ ἐρεῖς ἐν τῇ ἡμέρᾳ ἐκείνῃ Εὐλογῶ σε, Κύριε, διότι ὠργίσθης μοι εἰς σωτηρίαν καὶ ἀπέστρεψας τὸν θυμόν σου καὶ ἠλέησάς με.
70. Lord is my Salvation (12:2)
2 Ἰδοὺ ὁ θεός μου σωτήρ μου κύριος, πεποιθὼς ἔσομαι ἐπʼ αὐτῷ καὶ σωθήσομαι ἐν αὐτῷ καὶ οὐ φοβηθήσομαι, διότι ἡ δόξα μου καὶ ἡ αἴνεσίς μου Κύριος καὶ ἐγένετό μοι εἰς σωτηρίαν.

71. Sing about Lord (12:3-13:1)
3 Καὶ ἀντλήσετε ὕδωρ μετ’ εὐφροσύνης ἐκ τῶν πηγῶν τοῦ σωτηρίου. 4 καὶ ἐρεῖς ἐν τῇ ἡμέρᾳ ἐκείνῃ
Ὑμνεῖτε Κύριον, βοᾶτε τὸ ὄνομα αὐτοῦ, ἀναγγείλατε ἐν τοῖς ἔθνεσιν τὰ ἔνδοξα αὐτοῦ, μιμνῄσκεσθε ὅτι ὑψώθη τὸ ὄνομα αὐτοῦ. 5 ὑμνήσατε τὸ ὄνομα Κυρίου, ὅτι ὑψηλὰ ἐποίησεν· ἀναγγείλατε ταῦτα ἐν πάσῃ τῇ γῇ. 6 ἀγαλλιάσασθε καὶ εὐφραίνεσθε, οἱ κατοικοῦντες ἐν Σειών, ὅτι ὑψώθη ὁ ἅγιος τοῦ Ἰσραὴλ ἐν μέσῳ σου.
  • 13.1 Ὅρασις, ἣν εἶδεν Ἠσαίας υἱὸς Ἀμὼς κατὰ Βαβυλῶνος.
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org
Ken M. Penner

Notes on Isaiah 12:2

Post by Ken M. Penner »

2 Ἰδοὺ ὁ θεός μου σωτήρ μου κύριος, πεποιθὼς ἔσομαι ἐπʼ αὐτῷ καὶ σωθήσομαι ἐν αὐτῷ καὶ οὐ φοβηθήσομαι, διότι ἡ δόξα μου καὶ ἡ αἴνεσίς μου Κύριος καὶ ἐγένετό μοι εἰς σωτηρίαν.
ὁ θεός μου σωτήρ μου κύριος] This clause has three nouns in the nominative case, but no third person verb, so one of them is a predicate nominative, and another is in apposition. The most definite (ὁ θεός μου) should be taken as the subject, the least definite (σωτήρ μου) as the predicate nominative. The name κύριος, being definite, is then in apposition to the subject.
κύριος, πεποιθὼς] with Rahlfs, Ziegler; A, B lack κύριος, with MT.
πεποιθὼς] this form appeared in earlier in 8:14 and 8:17.
ἐπʼ αὐτῷ] A has ἐν αὐτῷ
καὶ σωθήσομαι ἐν αὐτῷ] with Rahlfs; Bc has only σωθήσομαι ἐν αὐτῷ; lacking in A, B* (Ziegler). Note the difference between Rahlfs and Ziegler.
ἡ δόξα μου καὶ ἡ αἴνεσίς μου Κύριος] δόξα and αἴνεσις serve the same function and are definite; Κύριος, a proper name, is also definite, so it is ambiguous which is the subject and which the predicate.
Ken M. Penner
Ken M. Penner

Notes on Isaiah 12:3-13:1

Post by Ken M. Penner »

3 Καὶ ἀντλήσετε ὕδωρ μετ’ εὐφροσύνης ἐκ τῶν πηγῶν τοῦ σωτηρίου. 4 καὶ ἐρεῖς ἐν τῇ ἡμέρᾳ ἐκείνῃ
Ὑμνεῖτε Κύριον, βοᾶτε τὸ ὄνομα αὐτοῦ, ἀναγγείλατε ἐν τοῖς ἔθνεσιν τὰ ἔνδοξα αὐτοῦ, μιμνῄσκεσθε ὅτι ὑψώθη τὸ ὄνομα αὐτοῦ. 5 ὑμνήσατε τὸ ὄνομα Κυρίου, ὅτι ὑψηλὰ ἐποίησεν· ἀναγγείλατε ταῦτα ἐν πάσῃ τῇ γῇ. 6 ἀγαλλιάσασθε καὶ εὐφραίνεσθε, οἱ κατοικοῦντες ἐν Σειών, ὅτι ὑψώθη ὁ ἅγιος τοῦ Ἰσραὴλ ἐν μέσῳ σου.
  • 13.1 Ὅρασις, ἣν εἶδεν Ἠσαίας υἱὸς Ἀμὼς κατὰ Βαβυλῶνος.
Note the two differences between Rahlfs and Ziegler in 12:6.
ἀντλήσετε] future of ἀντλέω, which refers to taking liquid (here ὕδωρ) from out of something, here the πηγῶν, which refer to an abundant water source.
Ὑμνεῖτε] ὑμνέω with an accusative of the person sung of means to celebrate or commemorate that person in a hymn; i.e., to sing in praise to or or that person.
βοᾶτε] βοάω with with an accusative of a thing normally means to use a loud voice to call for or celebrate that thing.
ἀναγγείλατε] ἀναγγέλλω normally means report or proclaim.
μιμνῄσκεσθε] Swete spells it μιμνήσκεσθε
ἀναγγείλατε] connects this verse to the preceding.
ἀγαλλιάσασθε] changed by ca to ἀγαλλιᾶσθαι, a misspelling of ἀγαλλιᾶσθε, with A, B (Rahlfs, Ziegler). ἀγαλλιάω implies an extreme degree of rejoicing.
ἐν Σειών] A (Ziegler) spells it ἐν Σιών; B has only Σειών; Rahlfs has only Σιων.
ὑψώθη] recalls 12:4, where Lord’s name was exalter.
σου] with A (Ziegler); B (Rahlfs) has αὐτῆς. Note the singular, though the second person verbs here are all plural.
This entire verse is indented within the column. Athough the title clearly belongs with the next chapter (13) rather than as a summary of the preceding one (12), the new paragraph number clearly comes after this title, between 13:1 and 13:2.
Compare the beginning of chapter 1:1 Ὅρασις, ἣν εἶδεν Ἠσαίας υἱὸς Ἀμώς, ἣν εἶδεν κατὰ τῆς Ἰουδαίας, καὶ κατὰ Ἰερουσαλήμ ἐν βασιλείᾳ Ὀζίου, καὶ Ἰωαθὰμ, καὶ Ἀχὰζ καὶ Ἑζεκίου. This title has no time reference.
Ken M. Penner
Ken M. Penner

Isaiah Chapter 12 translation

Post by Ken M. Penner »

12.1 And you will say on that day, I praise you, Lord, for you were angry with me and you averted your anger and you had pity on me.
2 Look, Lord my god is my saviour; I will trust in him and I will be saved by him and I will not be frightened, for Lord is my glory and my praise, and he has become salvation for me.

3 And you will draw water with joy from the streams of salvation. 4 And you will say on that day,

Sing about Lord; shout his name; proclaim among the nations his glorious things; be mindful that his name is exalted. 5 Sing about Lord's name, for he did exalted things; proclaim these things in all the land. 6 Rejoice and enjoy yourselves, you who dwell in Sion, for the holy one of Israel is exalted in your midst.
  • 13.1 A vision which Esaias son of Amos saw against Babylon:
Ken M. Penner

Return to “Series on Isaiah”