Colonization

Jonathan Robie

Re: Colonization

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Stephen Carlson wrote:OK, I see that the proposed synonym of "information unit" is confusing. Focus on "intonation unit" then; it is tied what can reasonably be phrased in a single breath while still containing basically a single idea. So it fits somewhere between a phrase and a clause. You could also read the thesis I linked to for a fuller discussion.
Will do. I browsed it very quickly, but I need to actually read it.

I think "intonation unit" is really helpful, it's concrete, and it seems to fit what you are doing.

One quick question, though: to what extent could I break this down simply by listening to a really good recording and identifying the pauses? How well do these units correlate with, say, the pauses in the Apostolos Vavilis recordings?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
MAubrey

Post by MAubrey »

Let's just hope that Paul didn't actually speak like William Shatner with pauses everywhere but the right spot.
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Jonathan Robie wrote:One quick question, though: to what extent could I break this down simply by listening to a really good recording and identifying the pauses? How well do these units correlate with, say, the pauses in the Apostolos Vavilis recordings?
When I listened to it last year, I was impressed how will it sounded. However, it is not clear whether Ancient Greek intonation units were set off by pauses (à la Shatner), pitch variations, something else, or any combination of them.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia

Return to “Pragmatics and Discourse”