Nicholas A. Bailey, "Thetic Constructions in Koine Greek"

Stephen Carlson

Nicholas A. Bailey, "Thetic Constructions in Koine Greek"

Post by Stephen Carlson »

I've noticed that Nicholas A. Bailey's dissertation "Thetic Constructions in Koine Greek" has been defended over six years ago, but I've heard no buzz about when or if it is going to be published. It is chock-full of insightful analyses and I wonder if anyone has heard anything about the publication status of this serious piece of work. Is the dissertation just too unwieldy for book publishers or what?
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
MAubrey

Re: Nicholas A. Bailey, "Thetic Constructions in Koine Greek

Post by MAubrey »

I *think* I've mentioned this to him at some point?

Maybe Steve Runge talked with him about it too a few years ago, but I don't know.
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
Stephen Carlson

Re: Nicholas A. Bailey, "Thetic Constructions in Koine Greek

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Well, an unpublished dissertation that gets cited anyway won't be unusual in linguistics.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
MAubrey

Re: Nicholas A. Bailey, "Thetic Constructions in Koine Greek"

Post by MAubrey »

Guys, it's here.

The meaning and translation of ἰδού and ἴδε ‘behold’: A construction grammar analysis by by Nicholas A. Bailey

Publishers Description
The Koine Greek particles ἰδού and ἴδε have been traditionally translated as either ‘behold’ or ‘lo’. But such mechanical renderings are inadequate as they suggest these particles can be reduced to a single meaning or function. As argued in this monograph, these particles actually have several distinct uses that are conditioned by their linguistic context, and a translator should find natural idioms in the receptor language that match the meaning and function of these Greek uses.

Based on a Construction Grammar approach, Bailey’s analysis of all 200 New Testament instances of ἰδού and 29 instances of ἴδε, as well as many from the LXX and extra-biblical materials, differentiates at least five uses. Examples of suitable and unsuitable renderings of the five uses are illustrated from 31 published translations in English and other European languages. The differences in the five uses are reflected most clearly in their functional differences in deixis and information structure. Although the analysis draws on insights from the theories of Construction Grammar and Cognitive Linguistics, familiarity with these theories is unnecessary to benefit from the study. This analysis also serves as a major refinement of the entries of these particles in the standard lexicon, BDAG.

Biblical studies scholars, exegetes, Bible translators, students of Koine and Ancient Greek, linguists interested in functional and typological linguistics, pastors, and others will benefit from reading this analysis and following the example of its analytical approach with other elements of the language.

About the author
With an academic background in linguistics, translation, and biblical languages, Nicholas A. Bailey has assisted Bible translation projects in Europe and West Asia for many years. In 2009 he was awarded a PhD from Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam.
Product details

Publisher: ‎ SIL International (September 1, 2023)
Language: ‎ English
Paperback: ‎ 198 pages
ISBN-13: ‎ 978-1556714504

https://koine-greek.com/2023/09/25/now- ... δε-behold/
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com

Return to “Pragmatics and Discourse”