Randall Buth's "Mark's Use of the Historical Present"

Exploring Albert Rijksbaron's book, The Syntax and Semantics of the Verb in Classical Greek: An Introduction, to see how it would need to be adapted for Koine Greek. Much of the focus will be on finding Koine examples to illustrate the same points Rijksbaron illustrates with Classical examples, and places where Koine Greek diverges from Classical Greek.
Jacob Rhoden

Randall Buth's "Mark's Use of the Historical Present"

Post by Jacob Rhoden »

I've stumbled across this particular article in a number of articles and books now, so I am trying to find a way to access it. It is not available in the journal database of the several institutions I have access to, and most google searches seem to point to here:

https://www.sil.org/resources/archives/61010
https://www.sil.org/resources/archives/61488

But this site appears to have no download link (or purchase link). Am I missing something obvious? Is it easy to access somewhere, or is this one of those "You need need to purchase a plane ticket and fly to the U.S. and dig around in the dusty basement of a library" to find it". :D

Thanks!
Stirling Bartholomew

Re: Randall Buth's "Mark's Use of the Historical Present"

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

Jacob Rhoden wrote: April 16th, 2018, 7:28 pm Am I missing something obvious?
Perhaps. Publishing date, 1977.
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Jacob Rhoden

Re: Randall Buth's "Mark's Use of the Historical Present"

Post by Jacob Rhoden »

Stirling Bartholomew wrote: April 17th, 2018, 11:13 am Perhaps. Publishing date, 1977.
I did notice that, but has it been superseded? I respect Dr Randall and would love to hear what he has to say on the matter. (that, and it still gets cited, i.e. It's cited by Campbell's monograph on verbal aspect, and Runge's reasonably recent book on Discourse Analysis.)

Return to “The Verb in Koine Greek”