Rijksbaron and the Greek New Testament

Exploring Albert Rijksbaron's book, The Syntax and Semantics of the Verb in Classical Greek: An Introduction, to see how it would need to be adapted for Koine Greek. Much of the focus will be on finding Koine examples to illustrate the same points Rijksbaron illustrates with Classical examples, and places where Koine Greek diverges from Classical Greek.
Jonathan Robie

Re: Rijksbaron and the Greek New Testament

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Thanks, Louis!
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Perhaps we should continue/restart this. What's next?
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
mwpalmer

Post by mwpalmer »

I would like to see the discussion continue. I have been unable to contribute so far because of other obligations, but I do want to read along and comment when I can.
Micheal W. Palmer
Stephen Carlson

OK, I added a summary of the next section and briefly identified the salient issues. Jonathan and others can propound questions to get a discussion going.
Melbourne, Australia
Eeli Kaikkonen

Post by Eeli Kaikkonen »

Is this project dead?
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:Is this project dead?
I could sure use help figuring out the right way to keep the discussion going on this. I'm interested in the topic.

How should we proceed?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Stephen Carlson

The last two posts were initiated by me and each has only one reply, also by me. If people want a discussion they have to participate.
Melbourne, Australia
Gumboocho

Post by Gumboocho »

Has anyone ever written an Introduction to Classical (or Attic) Greek for those who know the language of the NT, having mastered it in Bible College or Seminary, but now want to learn Classical?
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Gumboocho wrote: April 26th, 2023, 5:27 pm Has anyone ever written an Introduction to Classical (or Attic) Greek for those who know the language of the NT, having mastered it in Bible College or Seminary, but now want to learn Classical?
Someone who has studied only NT Greek should prepare for an overhaul of his Greek when he goes to study classical. I always recommend using Athenaze (Ἀθήναζε) as an introduction to classical Greek. It includes NT Greek passages in almost every chapter (a chapter is two sections of the book). As you go along and do the nT Greek passages, you notice how much easier it is to read NT Greek as you learn the classical forms and vocabulary.
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel

Return to “The Verb in Koine Greek”