Galatians again - with collaborative annotation?

A forum to read through Galatians together, commenting on anything significant, contributing materials that would be helpful for a grammatical guide to the book.
Post Reply
Jonathan Robie
Posts: 3486
Joined: May 5th, 2011, 5:34 pm
Location: Durham, NC
Contact:

Galatians again - with collaborative annotation?

Post by Jonathan Robie » December 13th, 2016, 1:53 pm

I wonder if we can try doing the Galatians Reading Group with collaborative annotation tools, which allow us to highlight a portion of a text and comment on it, reply to other people's comments, etc. I like that approach because it keeps the text front and center, but allows conversation about the text.

Here are a few examples of classrooms doing close reading in this way:
Anyone want to join me in trying this approach with Galatians?
0 x


ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Jonathan Robie
Posts: 3486
Joined: May 5th, 2011, 5:34 pm
Location: Durham, NC
Contact:

Re: Galatians again - with collaborative annotation?

Post by Jonathan Robie » December 15th, 2016, 4:05 pm

In the above examples, click on the yellow highlights to see the annotations.

Anyone interested in trying this?
0 x
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Jason Hare
Posts: 498
Joined: June 2nd, 2011, 5:28 pm
Location: Rehovot, Israel
Contact:

Re: Galatians again - with collaborative annotation?

Post by Jason Hare » December 16th, 2016, 12:22 am

I just signed up on that site. It looks very interesting. I think I'll start using it to annotate Hebrew resources that I teach from. Thanks!

I think that using it for a Greek reading group is a great idea.
0 x
Jason A. Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel

Jonathan Robie
Posts: 3486
Joined: May 5th, 2011, 5:34 pm
Location: Durham, NC
Contact:

Re: Galatians again - with collaborative annotation?

Post by Jonathan Robie » December 16th, 2016, 8:40 am

Jason Hare wrote:I just signed up on that site. It looks very interesting. I think I'll start using it to annotate Hebrew resources that I teach from. Thanks!

I think that using it for a Greek reading group is a great idea.
There are two competitors, genius.com and pund.it. I am also playing with pund.it. (For my purposes, I need something open source.) If at least one or two people is willing to do Galatians with me, I will set up a group and put some annotations in.
0 x
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Jason Hare
Posts: 498
Joined: June 2nd, 2011, 5:28 pm
Location: Rehovot, Israel
Contact:

Re: Galatians again - with collaborative annotation?

Post by Jason Hare » December 17th, 2016, 8:55 pm

Jonathan Robie wrote:
Jason Hare wrote:I just signed up on that site. It looks very interesting. I think I'll start using it to annotate Hebrew resources that I teach from. Thanks!

I think that using it for a Greek reading group is a great idea.
There are two competitors, genius.com and pund.it. I am also playing with pund.it. (For my purposes, I need something open source.) If at least one or two people is willing to do Galatians with me, I will set up a group and put some annotations in.
I just read through Galatians one chapter a week with Wes Wood as part of our weekly meetings to review Greek: An Intensive Course (Hansen & Quinn) for fun. We're about to start going through the first forty sections of On Cherubim (Περὶ τῶν Χερουβίμ) by Philo of Alexandria as we continue through the rest of the units. We just decided to have extra readings to supplement what we were doing and wanted to start with Galatians first.

I'm certainly interested in hearing more about what you want to do with a Galatians group and possibly participating in my free time. What do you have in mind? Meeting to read online through Skype or Hangouts?
0 x
Jason A. Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel

Jason Hare
Posts: 498
Joined: June 2nd, 2011, 5:28 pm
Location: Rehovot, Israel
Contact:

Re: Galatians again - with collaborative annotation?

Post by Jason Hare » December 18th, 2016, 12:24 am

I created an HTML page with the first forty verses of Περὶ τῶν Χερουβίμ, in which I created links to the Septuagint on the German Bible Society's website for verse citations. I'm using hypothes.is to annotate it. I'm just doing this as a practice to perhaps use with our group. Is this the type of thing that you're talking about? Parsing uncommon words, translating phrases, commenting on syntax and interpretation? To what extent will you be annotating the text? Are others who participate invited to mark up the annotation page, too?

Here's the link to what I'm doing: https://via.hypothes.is/http://www.theh ... rubim.html

Regards,
Jason
0 x
Jason A. Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel

Jonathan Robie
Posts: 3486
Joined: May 5th, 2011, 5:34 pm
Location: Durham, NC
Contact:

Re: Galatians again - with collaborative annotation?

Post by Jonathan Robie » December 18th, 2016, 9:03 am

Jason Hare wrote:I'm certainly interested in hearing more about what you want to do with a Galatians group and possibly participating in my free time. What do you have in mind? Meeting to read online through Skype or Hangouts?
That would make sense. Slack now has video, and could be useful for this - Michael and I have a Slack team for communicative Greek that we could use for this.
0 x
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Jonathan Robie
Posts: 3486
Joined: May 5th, 2011, 5:34 pm
Location: Durham, NC
Contact:

Re: Galatians again - with collaborative annotation?

Post by Jonathan Robie » December 18th, 2016, 9:06 am

Jason Hare wrote:I created an HTML page with the first forty verses of Περὶ τῶν Χερουβίμ, in which I created links to the Septuagint on the German Bible Society's website for verse citations. I'm using hypothes.is to annotate it. I'm just doing this as a practice to perhaps use with our group. Is this the type of thing that you're talking about? Parsing uncommon words, translating phrases, commenting on syntax and interpretation? To what extent will you be annotating the text? Are others who participate invited to mark up the annotation page, too?

Here's the link to what I'm doing: https://via.hypothes.is/http://www.theh ... rubim.html
Nicely done! Any reason you did not use page notes for the vocabulary?

I was thinking of using hypothes.is (or possibly pund.it) for close reading, with everyone in the group making notes on the things that interest them, parallel to a thread here. I have also set up a B-Greek group that can be used for annotations on any page relevant to people here.
0 x
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Jason Hare
Posts: 498
Joined: June 2nd, 2011, 5:28 pm
Location: Rehovot, Israel
Contact:

Re: Galatians again - with collaborative annotation?

Post by Jason Hare » December 19th, 2016, 4:34 am

Jonathan Robie wrote:Nicely done! Any reason you did not use page notes for the vocabulary?
I just didn't think of it. Now that you said it, I'll move them over to page notes. :)
Jonathan Robie wrote:I was thinking of using hypothes.is (or possibly pund.it) for close reading, with everyone in the group making notes on the things that interest them, parallel to a thread here. I have also set up a B-Greek group that can be used for annotations on any page relevant to people here.
Sounds great!
0 x
Jason A. Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel

Post Reply