Lace: 619 Greek Texts, many requested by us

Forum for discussing biblicalhumanities.org projects related to biblical Greek.
Jonathan Robie

Lace: 619 Greek Texts, many requested by us

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Bruce Robertson and Federico Boschetti have now announced Lace, which OCR for 619 Greek texts.

http://heml.mta.ca/lace/catalog

You'll notice a bunch of texts that we requested - Swete's Septuagint, Abbott-Smith, the Sophocles lexicon, Meyer's Commentaries, the Expositor's Greek Testament, some of the ICC Commentaries and the MacMillan Commentaries, Cramer's Catenae, John Chrysostom, Kirsopp Lake's Apostolic Fathers, Rouse's Greek Boy At Home - with the dictionary, Swete's Old Testament in Greek according to the Septuagint, Thackeray's Grammar of the Old Testament in Greek according to the Septuagint.

And if you get bored with religious texts, there's a whole lot of Greek there in whatever direction interests you.

All of these need editing, and we need to organize that work, but this is a much better starting point than we had with the Funk Grammar or other texts we have tried to do OCR on. Bruce and Federico have really improved our ability to do OCR on ancient Greek texts.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Stephen Hughes

The raw OCR is great, but how does it become useable output?

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Jonathan Robie wrote:You'll notice a bunch of texts that we requested - ..., the Sophocles lexicon,
This is really great!! Sorry for my impetuosity, but are you thinking of seeing something like this ending up as a straightline text or it going into a relational database? What are the usual steps to get from this
ocr output of page 146 wrote:
  • ἀναμαρτηαία, ἃς, ἡ, (ἀναμάρτητος) faidtlessness. App. I, 367, 72. — 2. In a religious sense, sinlessness. Clem. A. Ι, 961 Ε. 1233 Ε Cyrill. H. 7Τε Α. Cassian. Η, 1256 Ε Ἀναμαρτησίας, id est, impeceantiae. Aphopth.88 C.
    ἀναμάρτητος, ὂν, ἰυἰlhουΙ Sἰη, sinless; opposed to ἁμαρτωλός. Sept. Deut. 29, 19. Joann.8, τ.
    ἀναμαρτήτως, adv. sinlessly. Clem. A. Η, 321 C.
to even this in-line version?
SGH's manual correction of the three entries wrote:
  • ἀναμαρτησία, ας, ἡ, (ἀναμάρτητος) faultlessness. App. I, 367, 72. — 2. In a religious sense, sinlessness. Clem. A. Ι, 961 B. 1233 B Cyrill. H. 776 Α. Cassian. II, 1256 Β Ἀναμαρτησίας, id est, impeccantiae. Aphopth.88 C.
    ἀναμάρτητος, ον, without sin, sinless; opposed to ἁμαρτωλός. Sept. Deut. 29, 19. Joann.8, 7.
    ἀναμαρτήτως, adv. sinlessly. Clem. A. ΙΙ, 321 C.
Doing it manually is crazy longtime brain consuming!
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Jonathan Robie

Re: Lace: 619 Greek Texts, many requested by us

Post by Jonathan Robie »

I'm leaving town for the weekend in a few minutes ... short answer, we're working on that, they are setting up an editorial environment we can use that should simplify editing quite a bit, and I need volunteers to help.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Ken M. Penner

Post by Ken M. Penner »

The OCR is impressively accurate! Kudos!
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Ken M. Penner wrote:The OCR is impressively accurate!
In all the spot checks I have made, there has been a recognition of the difference between English "o" and Greek "ο".
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)

Return to “biblicalhumanities.org”