Revelation 3:19 μετανόησον aor. active impv 2sg

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Scott Lawson

Revelation 3:19 μετανόησον aor. active impv 2sg

Post by Scott Lawson »

Revelation 3:19b wrote, "ζήλευε οὖν καὶ μετανόησον."

This is not the expected order of action. Usually it is first to repent and then change course. I note that BDAG gives the gloss μετανόησον = take counsel with yourself but I wonder if show yourself repentant isn't a possibility. All of the the forms of the lexeme seem to be active in voice which to my mind makes this at least possible.

The sentence might then be rendered - Therefore, be zealous and show yourself repentant.

I know this runs counter to long standing tradition of usage but how far out is this as a possibility?
Scott Lawson
GlennDean

Re: Revelation 3:19 μετανόησον aor. active impv 2sg

Post by GlennDean »

That translation (i.e. show yourself repentent) sounds like the middle voice (not the active)?

I've been reading David Aune's commentary on Revelation and he mentions many times that John switches the order of events (that is the later event is mentioned first, then the earlier event second). A good example is contained in Rev 10:9 "So I went to the angel and told him to give me the little scroll. And he said to me, "Take it and eat it, it will make your stomach bitter, but in your mouth it will be sweet as honey".

Notice if you eat a scroll, the first thing you will experience is the taste in your mouth, and then when it gets to your stomach then you will experience that. But in Rev 10:9 John reverses the experiences. I do not know if this information is applicable to Rev 3:19
Scott Lawson

Re: Revelation 3:19 μετανόησον aor. active impv 2sg

Post by Scott Lawson »

GlennDean wrote:That translation (i.e. show yourself repentent) sounds like the middle voice (not the active)?
Hmmm....which would also be true of the gloss in BDAG to take counsel with yourself. Perhaps something like...Therefore, be zealous and show repentance.

Interesting point about the reversal of experience. Thanks Glenn.
Scott Lawson

Return to “New Testament”