GNT books from easiest to hardest

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
D Ryan Lowe

GNT books from easiest to hardest

Post by D Ryan Lowe »

I'm hoping to read the entire Greek New Testament, and would like to start with the easier books and work my way up, starting with 1 John and ending with the hardest books, like Hebrews or Luke-Acts.

If you were to order the books of the Greek New Testament from easiest to read to hardest to read, how would you order them?
Jonathan Robie

Re: GNT books from easiest to hardest

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Here's my ranking, from easiest to hardest:

1 John
Gospel of John
Matthew / Mark
Luke / Acts
Letters of Paul (Galatians is easiest, Colossians and Ephesians perhaps hardest)
Peter, Jude, The Revelation

Your mileage may vary.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
karivalkama

Post by karivalkama »

I think Revelation is easy Greek. Its interpretation is difficult, but that has nothing to do with the Greek language being difficult.

Kari Valkama
NathanSmith

Post by NathanSmith »

1st John may be the "easiest", but I think it would be most beneficial to a new Greek reader to start with a narrative like Mark.
GlennDean

Post by GlennDean »

In Mounce's "Graded Reader", he covers about 30 verses from the following books (each one increasing in difficulty)

1 John
John
Mark
Col
Matt
Rom
James
Philippians
1 Pet
1 Tim
Luke
Eph