Gal 1:11 γνωρίζω

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Scott Lawson

Re: Gal 1:11 γνωρίζω

Post by Scott Lawson »

That may indeed be true, Carl, but it does have the advantage of not reminding them of what they possibly already know. And it does have an air of authority which you point out Paul was seeking to establish. Neither does it follow the crowd of other translations, many influenced by the AV which so irritated BeDuhn...probably too much. Like I say it is at least interesting...

Cheers,
Scotty
Scott Lawson
cwconrad

Post by cwconrad »

Scott Lawson wrote:That may indeed be true, Carl, but it does have the advantage of not reminding them of what they possibly already know. And it does have an air of authority which you point out Paul was seeking to establish. Neither does it follow the crowd of other translations, many influenced by the AV which so irritated BeDuhn...probably too much. Like I say it is at least interesting...
But skewing the nuance off-center in another direction is not getting it right. Getting the nuance right when translating a word or phrase indicating the relationship between two parties is difficult but important. I really think that's why Stephen raised this question in the first place.
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Scott Lawson

Post by Scott Lawson »

cwconrad wrote: But skewing the nuance off-center in another direction is not getting it right. Getting the nuance right when translating a word or phrase indicating the relationship between two parties is difficult but important. I really think that's why Stephen raised this question in the first place.
Carl, I most assuredly appreciate you comments and your point is well received.
Thank you,

Scotty.
Scott Lawson

Return to “New Testament”